Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 6 and i was wondering if it is normal for only one of the two cooling fans to be running. If this is normal, does the other one ever go on? thanks

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Technically, there's a "cooling" fan and there's a "condensor" fan. The cooling fan is the primary fan and will run at high or low speed depending on the temperature.

The condensor fan is used primarily when the air conditioner is running (it's designed to draw air through the A/C condensor, mounted ahead of the radiator.) The A/C clutch and condensor fan are activated at the same time during normal conditions.

If the coolant temp get extreme (like > 226oF), the PCM will turn on both the cooling and condensor fans to try to cool things down. During "normal" operation though, the cooling fan alone is responsible for engine cooling and the condensor fan for A/C use.

·
Registered
921 Posts
A friend of mine added another fan to his 95 240sx. This makes his AC very very cold and his temp gauge lowered. So the temp reads a lot more closer to the cold side than before. Is this OK for the engine to be running cooler??? I was thinking of adding another fan for my car since it gets well over a 100 degrees here in vegas. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts