Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
cool ing issues and other probs

unlike most ppl i know my cooling issue isnt overheating, my car isnt getting hot enough.

i did a little test in the middle of summer I was like like lucky to see the needle between the T and E in TEMP while having the engine sit at 4k with no added airflow other than the rad fan.

now its winter and my mileage sucks big time. driving down the freeway at night im lucky to get the needle to move off of cold at 50mph, i know faster would cool better so i try to keep it around 65-70mph rather than 80

as my car stands it is stock with exceptions to catback and conefilter, coolant system was flushed and waterwetter was added as a safety precaution.

should i try replacing the thermostat with a higher temp one or add one if there isnt one?

also i dont think the car has ever been tuned up, should i do a cap/rotor/wires/plugs? if so anything else??

thankyou for your time

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
sounds like your thermostat is stuck open or fans are on all the time.

tune ups are always a good idea. but that wont affect your cooling issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i woud bet on the thermostat, i removed it on my driver car, becouse of a blown top seal? so the cooling systen is full of oil... hehe got a new engine for it so i dont care :p hehe

anyway the point is, it have the same "problem" as u got, get a new thermostat, and i woud think it`s fixed :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Dude watterwetter is supposed to keep the engine temp down 30 degrees...you cant run that stuff in colder weather...duh

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steelcity6 said:
Dude watterwetter is supposed to keep the engine temp down 30 degrees...you cant run that stuff in colder weather...duh

i added it 2 years ago in earlie spring, im still getting used to a watercooled vehicle, i used to drive a bug

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
check the thermosensor connection on the Tstat housing as well. :)

Btw, i have a water wetter additive in my c00lant system...keepts the temp needed right in the middle of T & E. stuck in rush hour traffic for an hour, it stays in the middle of E.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lets make a bet.

It's electrical. If your cooling fans come on, your comp. knows that it is getting hot. Do you have heat? Let me answer that for you. Yes you do. There is no chance in hell that you can sit in traffic for longer than 10 minutes with coolant so low, that your gauge does not read hot. You have two options. test the sensor in the therm. housing (88-89 has small round connection, 90+ spade type terminal, both one wire) to see if it is within spec. if it is good, you are looking at replacing your dash unit. If that common ground was bad, you would know... pm me for help if you need. -Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts