Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you guys know about our aftermarket corner light bulbs right. They're either blue or white but not that white. I actually bought Xenon blue bulbs and they're not that bright at all, They're only bright when you actually have the blinker on. So my question to you wiring gurus is this;

What's involved in either changing the wiring or whatever in order to have the corner light on at it's higher setting normally, then when you activate the blinker, it switched from brighter to dimmer and so on but at the end it stays brighter?

You know what I mean... anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Jorge,
If you mean the corner/turn signals right next to the headlight then all you have to do is test the three wires going to it. One will be ground the others two will be the power going to the marker filiment then other for the turn filiment.
You're going to need two Bosch, or similar SPDT relays, one for each side. Cut both wire in half. Take the marker light power side wire and conect it to terminal 30 on the relay, connect the turn signal bulb side wire to terminal 87a, connect the turn signal power side wire to terminal 86 and connect terminal 85 to ground. With it wired this way the brighter turn filiment will be on with the parking lights and it will turn off when you hit your turn signal. If you want the marker light to stay on when you hit the turn signal so that it just dims then you will also have to wire the marker bulb side wire to terminal 87.
What happens is that normally terminals 30 and 87a are connected to each other in the relay so you are really just wiring the marker power signal to the turn bulb. When you hit you turn signal it sends a power trigger to the relay's coil which then connects terminal 30 to 87, for as long as it has a trigger then it switches back when the signal goes away. Having 87 connected to the marker bulb wire will then re-route to power from 30 to the marker bulb as it removes it from the turn bulb.
Just one word of warning, the light casing may not be able to handle the higher output level of the turn bulb for extended periods of time, I know that in the 90-93 Accords that the marker casing starts to melt when you do this, but ours are a little larger so it might work.
E-mail me if you have any more questions on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts