Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a used engine. What is a good price to pay for a used 2.2 turbo. I found one for $400 complete with turbo. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So far I've only found used turbo engines w/o the turbo for $500 at the least,so to me that sounds reasonable,but how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor has approximately 156,000 miles on it. Is that alot of miles for these motors or would it be ok?Thanks again

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I wouldn't buy an engine with 156,000 miles on it unless you are going to rebuild it before putting it in your car. Yeah, I've got 186,000 on mine and it runs good, but installing an engine is a lot of work so I think it's too big a risk - you may have to take it back out not too long after you put it in. Besides, you might as well do some upgrades to it before it goes in your car...easier that way.

I saw a 2.2 turbo on E-bay with supposedly 74,000 on it for $350 but that was without the turbo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It depends,if the previous owner took care of it and performed regular maint.,I.e.on time,done right, then it may run for ?....200,000.but if things weren't done as they should,or "band-aid" fixes were made, it may not be so good.I suggest doing a compression test,and if u can removing the valve cover,oil pan,etc. to get a good look at engine internals.Looking at the condition of internals will give u a better understanding of how the engine was treated.If there isn't a build up of gunk,or debre(i.e. metal pieces)the engine may have been taken care of.I've seen engines sold that have had a 2" or so layer of sludge in them,and were only a few years old,and some that were 30yrs old and as clean as new.My 6 is previously at 166.xxx miles and runs fine.I've also seen others run in excess of 200,000.As long as u do your homework u shouldn't get burned on anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought an 89 gt for $200 that isn't running, so I was looking for a motor to get the car on the road and was planning to build the motor that was in the car. I'm just looking for a temporary fix so I have something to drive for a while till I get one of my trucks on the road. Then I'm planning on building the other engine. Putting the engine in isn't really that big of a deal, I do it for a living. I'm just not very familiar with mazdas and that motor. Thanks for all your replys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts