Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought myself a 1993 Mazda mx6 ls mystere.. with the 2.5 motor.. i;ve been getting bad MPG and poor performance. when i rev it some weird noise is coming from the motor. its kind of a high pitched noise. its really annoying and embarassing. i was wondering if it might be an exhaust leak.. I already checked if it was a vacuum leak but couldn't find anything,.
my car also idles at around 1,500 or more rpms..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im not sure how many mpg im supposed to be getting but im pretty sure it should be more than i am getting

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Is the high-pitched noise like a bearing going out or like one of the belts slipping? The mpg issue could be because of bad oxygen sensors or maybe you need to do a tune up to rule that out first, including spark plugs, wires, air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I agree with pulleys being the sound of the squeal. That or a wheel bearing, but the wheel bearing is nowhere near the back of the engine. Pulleys can echo in an engine bay to sound like they are coming from different places.

What is your mpg, you keep saying it's low but haven't said what it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my car seems to be running great.. but i don't have power in the higher rpms it seems to just have torque now.. i did a 0-60 and we hit around 11 seconds.. and that's definitely not right.. i wonder if it could maybe be some sensor or the fuel filter maybe.. I'm gonna get my codes read and ill see Wat happens

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
In addition to reading codes, also do the paper test on the VRIS...search around and you'll see exactly how to do it. A malfunctioning VRIS could cause power loss in the upper rpms, but probably not to the extent that it takes 11 seconds to get up to 60!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive never worked on vris.. and dont even know wat that is LOL.. do you have a diagram or a picture.. and would that cause my car to idle around 1,500 rpms.. every once in awhile it idles at 800rpms about

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
You'll have to search on vris on this site, there's a wealth of info here. As for the idle, it could be buildup on your throttle plate preventing it from closing all the way, so start off by cleaning it with carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Checked The Vris.. They Work Perfectly.. The Passenger Side One Opens At Idle And The Drivers Side One Opens At Like 4,500-5,000.. So Wat Else Could It Be.. Im Clueless

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Just because the VRIS open for an instant to release the paper doesn't mean that vacuum is being held in the system while under WOT to keep them open.

The boot is just to keep dirt out of the actuator (plunger piece that actually moves the plate). Not having it probably won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im pretty sure they work good cause. cause when it opens u can hear my Cai gets WAAY louder.. and i checked the codes for my car today and my mass air flow sensor is shot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i tested them again.. i had someone rev it for me and i looked in the hood and vris#1 opened when the car started and vris#2 opened around 4 ish and they both closed at.... i forget what rpm it was around 6 ish

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
im pretty sure they work good cause. cause when it opens u can hear my Cai gets WAAY louder.. and i checked the codes for my car today and my mass air flow sensor is shot.
The VAF (not MAF) being faulty can easily cause your car to run horribly. I suggest you clear the code and see if it comes back.
i tested them again.. i had someone rev it for me and i looked in the hood and vris#1 opened when the car started and vris#2 opened around 4 ish and they both closed at.... i forget what rpm it was around 6 ish
Neutral REV tests don't confirm that you aren't losing vacuum in the system because the RPM go up too fast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts