Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, how do you get the stock AM/FM/Tape deck out? Also is there any way to put 5.25s in the front?

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I got my mx6 it didn't have the stock double din tape/radio reciever. But I do know how to get to the front speakers. When you open your door, there is a screw that is holding the bottom half of your dash on. Take out those screws, and on the drivers side, you will need to remove a few more screws on the section closest to your door. I believe for the drivers side, that's 4 or 5 screws in all, and the panel snaps off. As for the passanger side, remove the side screw next to the door, then remove a few screws from underneath, and that also snaps off. I'm not 100% sure, but you might have to remove screws from the glove compartment. Just go ahead and start unscrewing the screws, just remember where they were at.

I do know if you pull out the ashtry, there's two screws that you'll need to remove, and two screws at the bottom of the center peice. (it's the black plastice framing that goes over over your ash try, stereo, etc. Those four screws, and that pops off, but i'm not sure about pulling out the deck.... I hope that helps, it's a lil confusing...

·
Registered
268 Posts
The trickiest part is getting the tray out from under the radio. Just put your thumbs inside of it and press outwards while you're pulling it out. It's hard to explain, but it should come out pretty easy with no screws to remove.

After you do that, you'll see two screws in there, there are two more around the sides, and another pair when you remove the ash tray. I think that is all of the hidden ones (check to make sure I didn't forget any obvious ones), and then the trim pops out and you can pull the radio (although there might be some more when the trim comes out, I can't remember). That should at least get you going, good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I got the panel off and then couldn't figure out which wires were which so I just had Car Toys install the deck for me. I also got my 5.25s to fit in the stock location, kinda jury-rigged but they do fit. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For future reference... I swapped my stock deck for a Panisonic CD reciever in 30mins... outside in the canadian winter.... yes, it sucked. but the easiest way to figure out which wires go where... as far as the speakers are concerned.. is to use a battery.... I used a AA... touch the two ends of the wire in question and listen... If you doubt my technique don't do it... I'm not a Professional installer... But it didn't hurt mine... and it did save a lot of time... which was good being so cold and all....as far as the power wires are concerned.. get a volt meter (multimeter) ... and for god's sake don't ground your deck to the back of the deck (i've seen it done... nuges!).. talk to ya later if you can still hear me...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts