Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a couple of quickies.

Firstly, im about to install my K&N Pod Filter sometime this week and i can see a cable/lead running into the back of my stock airbox. What is it?? and what do i do with it :confused:

And secondly, does/did anyone have any issues with the rear wheels hitting the guards with 4WS once they got their car lowered?

Thanks,
Denis

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a picture of this cable?
Umm.. it is a very thin black cable. Don't know if that helps :shrug:

I'll grab a pic in the morning sometime as it is 12:30am here at the moment :p

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
That's not a cable; it's a vacuum hose (pull it off the stock airbox to verify). That hose is a vacuum vent for the EGR solenoid (i.e. it sucks in very small amounts of air occasionally). The only reasons it is connected to the stock airbox are: to make it look tidy; so that it sucks in filtered air. If your new air filter doesn't have anywhere to connect it, then just leave that hose hanging. Do NOT plug the end of that hose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not a cable; it's a vacuum hose (pull it off the stock airbox to verify). That hose is a vacuum vent for the EGR solenoid (i.e. it sucks in very small amounts of air occasionally). The only reasons it is connected to the stock airbox are: to make it look tidy; so that it sucks in filtered air. If your new air filter doesn't have anywhere to connect it, then just leave that hose hanging. Do NOT plug the end of that hose.
ahh i see. So there's no harm it it just freely sucking air from my engine bay?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
ahh i see. So there's no harm it it just freely sucking air from my engine bay?
Im sure there would be, as it would be a vac leak albeit a small one.

If you can find a way to connect it to your air intake then you should do so. I know my Cold air intake came with a nipple to attach to it. Did you just get a K & N filter?

Also the rear wheels shouldnt hit the gaurds even after a bit of lowering. Think about it, the fronts turn alot more then the rears do :). As long as your wheels and tyres arent too big from stock it should be fine. How will you be lowering it by the way? Finding a decent set of shocks and springs for the 4ws is not easy and if you have found something, let us in on it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im sure there would be, as it would be a vac leak albeit a small one.

If you can find a way to connect it to your air intake then you should do so. I know my Cold air intake came with a nipple to attach to it. Did you just get a K & N filter?

Also the rear wheels shouldnt hit the gaurds even after a bit of lowering. Think about it, the fronts turn alot more then the rears do :). As long as your wheels and tyres arent too big from stock it should be fine. How will you be lowering it by the way? Finding a decent set of shocks and springs for the 4ws is not easy and if you have found something, let us in on it.
hmm okay. Ill look for a way of attaching it. It's a K&N Pod Filter, looks very similar to this one:

Except the Chrome ring is red/chrome.

As for the suspension, I'm not too sure yet.. I'm still looking around/researching on a decent set of shocks/springs. I have also thought of getting the current springs compressed about an inch or two.(i have no info on my current suspension, as it was already on the car when i bought it but apparently it isnt stock)

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Nick is right, you can just leave it hanging. There won't be a vac leak because the hose originally doesn't suck air from after the vaf. It's not the rear vc vent either unless it's the fat hose that's connected to the stock air intake elbow near the throttle body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts