Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been helping my GF shop for a new laptop because her shitty G4 won't make it through law school. We have been looking at plenty of different models when she came up with a question I couldn't answer.

What is faster out of these Core2s?
2.166 Ghz with a 800 Mhz FSB
or
2.0 Ghz with a 1066 Mhz FSB

I personally think that there won't be much of a noticable performance differance between the 2, but I was curious to know what is technically faster.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Get a dual core Lenovo T61p.

It's got the Core2Duo 2.4GHz with 800Mhz FSB and 2GB of RAM. It works flawlessly, even with Pshop CS3

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
in absolute terms - the 2.1x ghz processor is faster... It will perform more calculations per second.. etc...

so to answer her exact questions.. the first one is.

Now to answer the inferred question.. which system will be faster, all else equal... the one with the faster bus will be.. they are close enough in cpu frequency not to be a HUGE difference.. thats the cpu's ability to talk to the ram. every calculation processed will be passed out to their relative destinations faster.

she'd notice is mostly with tons of apps open (for instance) or with applying 10 minute long photoshop filters.

If she's using it for what most lawschool students are... it won't make a lick of difference, so get whatever's cheaper lol.

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in absolute terms - the 2.1x ghz processor is faster... It will perform more calculations per second.. etc...

so to answer her exact questions.. the first one is.

Now to answer the inferred question.. which system will be faster, all else equal... the one with the faster bus will be.. they are close enough in cpu frequency not to be a HUGE difference.. thats the cpu's ability to talk to the ram. every calculation processed will be passed out to their relative destinations faster.

she'd notice is mostly with tons of apps open (for instance) or with applying 10 minute long photoshop filters.

If she's using it for what most lawschool students are... it won't make a lick of difference, so get whatever's cheaper lol.
That's exactly what I figured, but I didn't know if a 2.0 Ghz proc would even need a 800Mhz FSB. I knew that lower FSB speeds only limited high power processors. Thanks Steve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts