Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has just come to my attention that i have 2 long hair line cracks on the top tank of my radiator. does anyone know what material the top tanks are made of. i heard they are plastic composite. its good in a way cos when the car shuts down all the water bubbles and steam escapes but unfortunately so does a little bit of coolant. so igotta keep topping it up. any info as usual is greatly appreciated.

G

·
I'm not sure of the composition of the plastic, but I know it has been used for many years in the trucking industy. Interestingly enough, Fords version of the plastic tank radiators in their former class 8 trucks (now owned by Freightliner)were of the poorest quality. This comes from the radiator shops that would replace the tanks or tank seals for all trucks. If memory serves me, the early version was made by Ad-Tech, then in the mid-nineties Ford switched vendors to Valeo. I too had cracks in my upper tank. I bought some "Devcom, High Strenth, Plastic Welder" (Epoxy) from Wal-Mart and applied two coats. Before I glued it up, I cleaned the surface real well, then roughed it up with sand paper. So far so good. There are some posts about radiator tank cracks in the General Maintenance "2" bulletin board as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The radiators are part plastic. Once the plastic is cracked you should replace the radiator. I had the same problem replaced it with an all metal one. No probs and it is a really easy job 15 minutes if you are slow

·
Registered
345 Posts
had the same stupid problem 2 weeks ago. Rad looks like new, the stupid plastic cracked at the top. Right where the flat part meets the round part on the left side. THe crack was about 2 inches wide. Tried patching, no luck. Changed it. However, if u can take your rad down and let it try sand the cracked areas, there is a compound that u can get, that is really good shitz. It is almost like putty, but activates on high temperatures. Which means u need to burn it at 300 degrees to get it to bond. After that it becomes like plastic and nothing will take it off. You can sand it cut it and leave it there and problem solved. It is in the body sectio, where the the gas tank repair kits are. It comes in a Syrange and it is like $5. Hope I helped u out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts