Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'94 MX6 4 Cyl.
I need a quick "How to" on isolating the crank pulley to remove the Crank Pulley bolt, to get to the lower timing belt cover. I was trying to change my own timing belt, but couldn't get past this bolt. I tried an impact wrench with 600 ft-lbs. of torque and the damn thing didn't budge. I tried a torque wrench, but the pulley turned with the bolt.

There are 2 threaded holes in the visible face of the pulley... I am guessing that this is where the dealership installs their "special tool". I contacted my local dealership about this tool, and they said I couldn't borrow theirs, I couldn't get them to loosen it for me, and I couldn't buy the tool from them.

Any suggestions on loosening this bolt without the aide of the "special tool"?

Thanks in advance,

- JL

·
Registered
134 Posts
To get the bolt loose, put your car in reverse and set the e-brake. You should now be able to loosen the bolt without turning the crank with it. It's pretty tight so you might have to use a leverage bar on you ratchet. The two threaded holes in the pulley are to attach a pulley puller to in order to take the pulley off. You can rent one at autozone, or checker for free. You just have to pay and then you get your money back when you return it. I never really need them though. I've always been able to pull them off by tapping it with a rubber mallet and pulling with my hands. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTTT

Can anyone else confirm this? Not that I don't believe you, 94mx-6 (don't get me wrong). I appreciate your reply to my post, and will try it out tonight. I would just like to hear the solution from more than one person.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
mine wound up in the shop because I had the same problem. Luckly mine was covered under a recall. I would also like to know how the hell that bolt comes out. I was talking to a guy on probe talk who fabricated a tool for the bolt holes.

basically its a piece of flat stock that has a hole in the middle for a socket and long at one end so you can get some leverage. Then with breaker bar crank like hell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did dug,

I'll tell you tomorrow. I'll be trying it out tonight, and will let everyone know tomorrow.

TO THE BOARD:

Should I take some pics of my timing belt removal with my digital cam? If I did, is there anywhere on this site that we could start a sort of database for do-it-yourself projects on this car? I don't know how to get in touch with the owner of this site, but if anyone could you could ask...

I'll try and get some good pics tonight and report tomorrow.

- JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dig dug,

It didn't work... nothing I've read here worked.

1. I tried to put the car in reverse, to isolate the crank pulley, like 94mx6 described. It didn't... the pulley still turned just like it did when it was in a forward gear.

2. I read on the probe message boards, to try the car in gear, and someone standing on the brake. Didn't work either. Pulley still turned.

3. I tried to isolate the tensioner pulley, and locking it in place, along with a second friend standing on the brake pedal, and me with a breaker bar leveraging the piss out of that bolt, and that didn't work either. Pulley still turned, even though the belt was immobilized.

4. I threaded a bolt into the threaded hole on the face of the pulley, and that didn't work either... just bent the bolt as I tried to immobilize the pulley by bracing the bolt on the wheel well.

So, I'm back at square one. Luckily, I tried to do all this stuff before I did anything else, so there's not much reassembly.

I give up. The trouble isn't worth it. I'll gladly pay $250 to have someone else do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts