Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Driving home last night I lost my charge system. Lights were going dim, but I limped home. This morning, I open the hood, and all the belts are gone! The crank pulley was just kind of hanging there in 2 pieces. I didn't even know it had 2 pieces. My question is, do I need to replace the whole assembly, or just get the rubber thingy in between? If I need the whole thing, should I go new or used? 1990 MX6 non-turbo. Thanks

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Pulley

Being a 2 piece harmonic balancer type of pulley, I'd investigate a little further as to what would cause the "sandwich" to fall apart. These will usually loosen up gradually and make all sorts of wild noises before they totally fly apart.
You may want to pull your timing belt covers and check things out inside, for peace of mind. Check the crank-shaft for play. A new part would be the best bet, but they're rather pricey. If buying used, try to get one off a lower mileage car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Never saw a two-peice pulley on a 6 before. Wierd.. Ah well.... I'd recomend first assessing the exact reason the firt pulley fell off. After it's determined to be a non-reoccurring problem, I'd replace it with a single piece pulley. Aftermarket underdrive preferably, but stock will do fine.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
stevieboy1313 said:
The crank pulley was just kind of hanging there in 2 pieces. IMy question is, do I need to replace the whole assembly, or just get the rubber thingy in between?
Hey Stevieboy;
That pulley assembly should have two parts held together by 6 bolts. The smaller inner part is referred to as a "baffle plate", while the outside larger one is called the "damper pulley". This entire set-up should all rotate together off the crank, as a unit for driving the accessory belts.

Try to find out if the retaining bolts sheared off or worked themselves loose. Perhaps it was just a matter of a worn belt breaking loose ?

It's easy to get at, after jacking the car up, remove the wheel and inner plastic fender......there it is !

·
Registered
737 Posts
The crank pulley on my friends 95 Dodge Neon is a pressed 2 piece pulley. FYI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 2 pieces allright. The outer piece, "damper pulley", is the part that has the belt pulleys (2) on it. The inner "baffle plate" is the part that bolts to the crankshaft with the six bolts. These 2 pieces are apparently held together by just a rubber gasket that absorbs the shock. Mine must have just worn down or something cause I've read about places that rebuild them. What I don't understand is that my Haynes book says that you have to take out the crank bolt to get the pulley off, and I didnt have to. So, maybe I'm missing part of it or something. I guess I'll see when I get my new one. I can't afford the dealer price, so I'm having one shipped from SC. Hard to find part.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If the pulley is 2 pieces held by "rubber" and if the "rubber" wears away then the pulleys' outer part may come off without removing the middle bolt.

G

·
stevieboy1313 said:
It's 2 pieces allright. The outer piece, "damper pulley", is the part that has the belt pulleys (2) on it. The inner "baffle plate" is the part that bolts to the crankshaft with the six bolts. These 2 pieces are apparently held together by just a rubber gasket that absorbs the shock. Mine must have just worn down or something cause I've read about places that rebuild them. What I don't understand is that my Haynes book says that you have to take out the crank bolt to get the pulley off, and I didnt have to. So, maybe I'm missing part of it or something. I guess I'll see when I get my new one. I can't afford the dealer price, so I'm having one shipped from SC. Hard to find part.
First off, the Haynes book specifies you have to remove the crank bolt to get the crank gear off, not the crank pulley.

I went outside and grabbed my crank pulley. I took a couple pictures here.

This is the crank pulley, and the baffle plate. I put one screw in backwards to show how they are connected. Unless the crank pulley itself is two pieces (Doesn't appear to be), the baffle plate and crank pulley are all held together by those 6 screws which go into the crank gear and are keyed to fit the crank.

Everything taken apart.

Is this the baffle plate you are reffering to Jonny?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
baffle plate

Yep, ya got it ! The pics really help show the details, good job 'Swat ! This baffle plate is mounted behind the damper pulley, with the raised lip facing outward towards the pulley.

Those parts are held together by 6 bolts, mounted on the shaft with a key. So Stevieboy, were those the two parts that worked loose ? How did your mounting bolts look ?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yep these guys are right. You do NOT need to remove the center crank gear bolt unless you are changing the crank seal! The pulley will come off with just the six bolts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My pulley did that this past summer ,only it didnt go all of a sudden.It started off by just being a high pitch squeeling noise,like a bearing rubbing or a loose belt,I put in two new belts and the noise went away for a day, noise usually got worse when the a/c was running and turning the steering at low speeds.the noise got worse over time.Idid evrything i could think of,readjusted the belts,had the alternator checked,finaly the a/c was running weak,i had little power steering and there was smoke coming from under the hood.The belts were slipping bad and heting up,so i try to make it to the shop,and then i heard this bang and then arattle and then i lost all a/c powersteering but everything else worked,cause i was running on battery.I was a long way from home so i had to get it towed to a shop.we popped the hood and looked down,both belts were gone and the balancer had separated,the pulley had twisted from the piece that bolts to the crank,somehow i always thought this was all one piece ,i dont remember the cost for the balancer by itself but with two belts and the balancer from mazda it was about 220$.I replaced it,so far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: baffle plate

johniebgoode said:
Those parts are held together by 6 bolts, mounted on the shaft with a key. So Stevieboy, were those the two parts that worked loose ? How did your mounting bolts look ?
Nope, I've got the little baffle plate, but the crank pully itself is in 2 pieces, that seperate about an inch out from the bolt holes. Then, there's an internal part that bolts to the crank with the 6 bolts and keyhole, with the baffle plate in between. Next, there's a rubber gasket, and then an external piece that has the pulley for the 2 belts on it. Alternator belt has 4 ribs, and the PS/AC belt has 3 ribs. And that's where it came apart, between the inner and outer pieces of the pulley itself. The pics are great, if I had a camera, I'd show you. It still just blows my mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE; Crankshaft Pulley?

jwilsonjrs said:
we popped the hood and looked down,both belts were gone and the balancer had separated,the pulley had twisted from the piece that bolts to the crank,somehow i always thought this was all one piece ,i dont remember the cost for the balancer by itself but with two belts and the balancer from mazda it was about 220$.I replaced it,so far so good.
That's exactly what happened, only I didn't get any warning, it just went all at once. The part is a Dealer item only, and hard to find in yards. Dealer price is $185 plus shipping plus belts, so I ordered mine from a salvage yard in SC for $70. Hope it gets here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
the rubber is to reduce vibration and harmonics. not very comon for it to disintergrate. i make alluminum 1 piece pulleys for our cars, they are NOT underdrive, but are light wieght. pm me for pricing.

to everyone else take a closer look at your crank pulley and you will see the rubber ring in the crank pulley.

G

·
I would have sold you the pulley pictured for $15+ Shipping....Try to see if you can cancel the order with the salvage yard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts