Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the read!

Hey guys so recently I have replaced the auto transmission in my 93 Mx6 2.0l V6 J-Spec and I went to take it for a test drive for about 30mins just to test and check everything is working all good and fine. Come about 25mins in and returning home the car made a funny noise as if something had fallen off and rattled around and dropped or something flicked up into the engine bay. Few seconds later the car stalls at the red light so I start it no trouble and goes and drives no trouble to park it up around the corner just so I can walk back around to see if anything is there. To which I find a chunk of metal on the road that doesn’t look like came off the Mazda as it was rusty and had no fresh silver marks on the edges to say it had snapped off something. But I picked it up and looked at it and it looked like either a piece of a brake rotor or a bit of the flywheel ( I’ll post a picture if interested) but I looked around the car and under to find any damage or leaks and nothing. So I start the car again and it starts fine and revs fine and there’s no leaks but then all of a sudden it randomly reved up a little without touching the accelerator which was a little bit strange but I got in and put it into gear and drove home carefully as i was only 5mins away and it seemed to drive fine but I did notice that the gear indicator on the instrument cluster the light for drive wasn’t on and it looked as if the car was off but Reverse was lit up and park but when it was switched into N,D,S,L none of them would light up. When I turned into the end of my street I noticed the Rpm dropped to almost 0 and had significantly lost power and the hold light started flashing obviously alerting me there was something wrong with the transmission but it was still driving but quickly dropping to 0 rpm’s I got to my drive way which is a little bit angled upwards where it stalled again just as I slowed right down so I wouldn’t clip my bumper on the drive way. I then decided I would reverse it up and park on the side of the road and it started again fine but immediately stalled putting it in Reverse. So I started it again and drove it up the drive as someone was coming and I was blocking the road. I tested the transmission and the Code for Crankshaft sensor came up (01 NE1) although I haven’t tested the engine as I don’t have the CEL on the dash/instrument cluster and I don’t have a 12v bulb or anything I cause use to simulate the CEL ( Connecting a bulb to B+ + FEN ) and bridging TEN + GND. But an hour had passed and I needed to move the car off the drive and to go on the side of the road being it cooled down a bit the car started fine and went into reverse normally and drove normal to park it on the side of the road.

So my question is do I have and installed a faulty transmission or can the Crankshaft sensor (01 NE1) be going bad and causing the transmission to go all funny and fail?

Also I have the 4WS light on too but I have a plug that’s not plugged in because there’s no where for it to plug in. As the old transmission had two plugs on the VSS and this one only has one probably because it came out of a 2.5L Mazda Millenia and they didn’t have 4ws. Is there anyway I can splice this plug into another one to make the 4ws work again as it’s locked into 2ws atm.

Again Apologies for the read!

Cheers

· Registered
385 Posts
I am not sure what an NE1 crankshaft position sensor code for the atm means. I have had plenty of NE2 crankshaft position sensor codes for the engine, but they always have gone away after adjusting something. Look to see the wires are okay going into the crankshaft position sensor. I have also had plenty of HOLD lights come on, even while driving and suddenly come on, and the car won't shift up. But then they seem to disappear after stopping the car, and do not reappear for months.
That noise and rattling does not sound good, as likely something came off. One time I was driving slowly and heard a faint clunk from the engine. It turned out the water pump pulley came loose and fell right off. It was still there with the 4 bolts in it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure what an NE1 crankshaft position sensor code for the atm means. I have had plenty of NE2 crankshaft position sensor codes for the engine, but they always have gone away after adjusting something. Look to see the wires are okay going into the crankshaft position sensor. I have also had plenty of HOLD lights come on, even while driving and suddenly come on, and the car won't shift up. But then they seem to disappear after stopping the car, and do not reappear for months.
That noise and rattling does not sound good, as likely something came off. One time I was driving slowly and heard a faint clunk from the engine. It turned out the water pump pulley came loose and fell right off. It was still there with the 4 bolts in it.
I took it for a drive today just to see if it would come back and it didn’t and nothing seemed weird or out of the ordinary but when I test the ATX the same hold light code up a single flash then off for 4 seconds and then the same single flash so I’m not too sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts