Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was going to sandblast the heat sheild over the exhaust manifold to clean and paint it and when putting it back one of the screws busted off in the hole right in the middle of the thread sideways, should i take the time to take it out of the hole or should i just leave it???

it looks like a B**** to get out

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's fairly easy to get out, if you have a drill. Go buy an EZ-out from a hardware store. Drill a hole right in the middle of the broken stud/bolt/screw and then use the ez out. It's reverse threaded so as you tighten it, it tightens in the hole you drilled, and turns the screw out. This might not be feasible unless it's on the top of the manifold. If it's on the side, the drill won't get in there without taking a bunch of sh*t out, so I'd just leave it until next time you have the manifold off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Screws Suck

the story of my life, we get screws that are stuck or broke all the time at work. some of those are in the most frustrating places. i feel your pain, if it is in the front.
you may need a hammer to tap the ez out with while turn it, also squeeze the ez out in a pair of vise grips to turn it.
should back right out.

if you get a #3 ez out, drill with a 5/32 bit.
if you get a #2 ez out, drill with a 1/8 bit.
if you get a #1 ez out, drill with a 3/32 bit.

Info Note:
if the ez out (or extractor) have a sharp tip on the end, sand it off, then you will not have to drill as deep. but be careful and not to start sanding the flutes off. just sand the point off.

[Edited by smachan on 04-11-2001 at 08:19 AM]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh yeah, and don't break the ez out off in the screw. They're hardened steel. Good luck drilling THAT out.
They don't break easy or anything, I've never had one break off, but.. If it feels like it's going to, time to try something different. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
They Break, Trust Me

we break them all the time at work, they are a bitch to drill, but will a good cobalt bit you can do it. usually when we break them off, we just grind what is left of the head and punch it out. but in the manifold you may not want to punch it out. if you did, the threads would have to be re-tapped.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cobalt bit eh? Good idea.
Retapping the thread isn't hard, but, most people don't have tap and die sets. Does it take much to break those suckers? I never have broken one, but then, I haven't used them too much either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts