Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Crashed it...

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  kennymx6 
#1 ·
Well, I'm defintely not happy with the Mazda MX6. My ABS is completely horrible. My wheels locked up in the snow and I slid into the rear end of a Jeep. The Jeep's trailer hitch split the car's shit-ass worthless fiberglass bumper, and bent my radiator in slightly. Both fans got wrecked so I have to drive with them unplugged. I need to find a new hood latch ASAP.

#2 ·
Dang man! I know how you feel, except I didn't have snow, or rain to blame. Just me not paying attention! Now that makes you feel bad. AND, mine is currently undriveable (talking about my 1990).

ABS was an option on our MX6s (or at least the 1st gens), not standard equipment, are you sure you have ABS?

#4 ·
Might be I can get you a hood latch, got a 90 GT at a junkyard here. Dunno how much the guy will want for it, or how much shipping is, but, if you can't find one locally, lemme know.
Sorry to hear about the wreck.
:(

#5 ·
jiffy6969 said:
Dang man! I know how you feel, except I didn't have snow, or rain to blame. Just me not paying attention! Now that makes you feel bad. AND, mine is currently undriveable (talking about my 1990).

ABS was an option on our MX6s (or at least the 1st gens), not standard equipment, are you sure you have ABS?
Yeah I saw the ABS fuse in my main fuse box, plus I hear the ABS engage electronically. All the ABS does is lock up, unlock and grind, then lock up again.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Sorry to hear about the car, that sucks. But when I was doing stuff to my car (putting in the trans), my stepfather bled my brakes, he noticed that there were two resivoirs. Bleeding both of them out seemed to help the pedal alot, i don't quite know the function as my shop manual is still on order, but it's something to look into....

#10 ·
Dude, why are you getting rid of your car? The damage isnt really that bad at all. Also, one thing you have to understand about ABS, and this applies to all ABS equipped cars, is that ABS sucks in the snow. It reduces stopping distances greatly. The reason why is with ABS, your tires tend to ride over the snow. Without it, you lock the wheels, forming a wedge of snow underneath the tires stopping you much better. What I've done (on almost all the cars I've owned with ABS) was pull the fuse when the snow gets a little deep. Unfortunatly on our cars that means setting an error code on the ABS computer but that's easy to clear.

#11 ·
Well I'm not getting rid of the car yet. And I have noticed the ABS in Subaru and a Nissan Sentra is 5 times better than this Mazda and does NOT suck in the snow. The Sentra never locks up in the snow and still stops.

Hey quick question. See on that third picture how my radiator support is kind of tilted down in the middle? That was like that before the accident. Is it like that on the rest of our cars?

[Edited by rmtaylor on 03-07-2001 at 08:45 AM]

#12 ·
Stage 1 complete

Well, my first stage of fixing the hood latch so the hood will lock has been completed successfully. The parts weren't too hard to get to. I also reattached the grille and put my bug deflector back on. Here are the results. Next stage is the bumper support.

http://www.ethiers.com/RMT/Machines/stage1.jpg

Ryan

[Edited by rmtaylor on 03-12-2001 at 12:06 PM]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.