Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so while i was working on my car i came up with this crazy idea that i am thinking of doing but dont want to hurt the ze. So this is my plan.
step one-take a Y pipe and weld it on right after my "cat"(its gutted)
step two-put a little electronically controlled valve to divert the exhaust into one or the other exhuast pipes so that one is like my normal ehaust (resinator, and muffler) and the other exhuast pipe would be a side exit with no resinator or muffler.
Now the questions.
one- would this gain power with no resinator and no muffler?
two- would no resinator and no muffler hurt my motor?
three- is three inch piping better than 2.5?

thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
1. Your car will be loud as hell
2. This has been done before if I remember correctly
3. Your car will be loud as hell
4. 3" is WAY too big for a N/A car
5. Your car will be loud as hell
6. Did I mention your car will be unbearably, obnoxiously loud?

·
Registered
327 Posts
itll look funny no? .. but to answer your questions the power gains would be minimal if anything , it wouldnt hurt it, and stick with 2.5in

after the elctronic bypass just put a little tip pointing down = cleaner

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would only have it go out the side if i was racing some one or when i go to the drag strip on fridays. so if i do this it wont hurt my motor if i dont have it go though the resinator? and i like the whole part about loud cause i love loud haha

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they dont care on the drag strip how loud the car is here some cars are un godly loud. And i want the valve so i can still use my exhuast that i have right now on the streets

·
Registered
189 Posts
so i got to ask and i will prob sound dumb but what exactly does a resinator do just make it quite? and i will say this one more time running with no resinator and no muffler dont hurt the motor right? cause damn i really want to do this haha just dont want to blow up the ze

also if i do this do i need two actuators? one to open the cut off and one to close the regular exhuast? or well all the exhuast go out the cut off when i open it? and thanks for the imput guys i appriciate it

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Resonator is to quiet the exhaust, they are normally designed to cancel out sound waves .

Running open exhaust wont hurt anything.. Its not that loud compared to a V8.

You only need one valve, it opens and closes, when it opens it creates a exhaust leak.. a big one, the exhaust flows the path of least resistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts