Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this may be a stupid question(even since people say there isn't such a thing). I was looking at my stock springs and saw some about 1/2 of rubber between the spting and strut.

Has anyone ever removed this and if I would remove it would it be bad.? I just can't afford springs and struts and since my car looks a 4x4 i'm looking for an easy to pull some height out of it. Take a look at the pictures on the picture post.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I dont know about that

I'm no expert, but I'm sure that it'll squeak/grind like mad. And I'm not sure, but I think the springs twist a little bit when you go around courners and stuff. You'll prolly end up grinding down the spring and or the upper strut mount. I'm sure you dont want to hit a bump one day and have your spring pop through your hood :)

Like I said, I'm not an expert, so don't take my word as law, but even if you took it out, I think you'd only get a 1/4 inch drop anyway.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Those rubber seats aren't even 1/2 inch thick. When I replaced my springs, they are only about 1/8 inch thick.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ground Clearance

Is yours the red one I saw a picture of? If it is, you are right, it does have great ground clearance.

I love ground clearance. I ran over a piece of tire on the road yesterday, it was only sticking up a few inches, and I heard it hit the bottom of my MX-6. Man, that sucks--it has never been lowered either.

My girlfriend had a 1996 Eclipse GS. Nice, pretty car. Hit every thing sticking up 2" off of the ground.

I know it looks really sharp, but I am more of a "functionality" guy. If it were my car, I know other people may disagree, but there is no way I would lower it. No way. Some may argue that it is better when you corner haulin ass, and all that, but how fast are you really going to be going? What is your top speed? Maybe 130mph? 2 or 3" lower ain't going to give you much more than a rougher ride. Not to mention, climbing out of your car is much easier. I hate being low to the ground. I fear getting broadsided. Could you imagine an F250's bumper aimed at your face going 40mph?

I'd do ground effects before I'd lower it.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't really even go that low. If I do i drag going in and out of my driveway. I do now if I come in too fast.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Time is money

This a rather drastic, but cheap way of stiffening your ride and lowering it at the same time.

I saw this done on a Supra older type, what they did was take the springs and cut them in half. It lowered the car and made it really stiff. However, what I was thinking is that you can maybe cut one or two coils off of your springs to lower the car. The only problem is that it is irreversable and if a mistake is made, ie one spring tall than another, will force you to buy new springs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cutting the springs down makes them softer, get new springs if you're gonna lower (well worth the money). This rubber softens the ride and prevents squeaking. One of the last Sport Compact Cars talked about shaving them down when the put new springs on a car. Sorry, can't remember which issue(less than 3 months ago).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts