Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you go buy regular rotors from like pep boys can you take them in and have them cross drilled? I was talking to this guy at this brake shop and he said he can cross drill rotors for $20 a pop? Just wanting to know if it would work?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I would say that you could, HOWEVER, there is surely a science to it, not just drilling holes.

If not done properly (exactly correct), I would assume you could disintegrate them (the rotors) during hard breaking. I wouldn't think that you could just start drilling the same pattern that you see on cross-drilled rotors--but I might be wrong about that.

If/when you find out, let us know. That would be one great break mod. You'd lighten your rotors, and they wouldn't get so hot so fast--that is the whole point, right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brakes are not the one item that you want to play around with on a car. They're what stops all of that heavy metal from "tanking" gran-ma 30 feet in the air when she jumps out in front of you in the cross walk!! brakes have extreme specifications, and tolerances, you can't just start modifyind brake componets if you are not sure what your doing(to be honest with you not to many people do). do yourself, and everyone else on the road a favor, buy a set of cross drilled rotors, don't drill out your own. there was a big discussion on these not too long ago. check it out here= http://www.mx6.com/board/showthread.php3?threadid=2446

Later man,
Paulo

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow, cross drill your own rotors, I would definitely no suggest it... This is what this dude at a local shop said about x-drilled rotors, "Cross drilled rotors are made with a special, harder metal than regular stock rotors. That way they will withstand the pressure of regular braking without being warped easily. However, x-drilled rotors are always going to be very vulnerable to warp under heavy usage, like if you're autocrossing all the time ets. If I had to choose, I would get slotted over x-drilled"

I took his word because he looked like he knew his stuff since he had a top fuel drag car in his shop and a few RX7's and hondas laying around with engine swaps being worked on etc...

Needless to say, I have slotted rotors waiting till I finish killing my x-drilled by this summer.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
If you drill stock rotors, you'll end up with stress cracks all up over that bitch. Dont do it. There's a bulk buy for EBC rotors going on. $30 something each.

·
Registered
666 Posts
In response to the question about heat, they do nothing for heat. What they do is give the gases produced when the brake lining wears off the pads somewhere to go. Under heavy braking, that gas keeps the pad from contacting the rotor with as much pressure as normal, causing you to really have to slam on the brakes to be able to slow down at all. With X-drilled/slotted rotors, the gas can escape, preventing (or significantly reducing) brake fade.
As for having someone local do the X-drilling, even the ones that you buy that are manufactured with harder metal/etc are prone to cracking. I can't imagine how bad it would be to have someone drill stock rotors.
Just make sure I'm not in front of you the first time you try stopping :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
cross drilled

I have cross drilled rotors on my car. They were done by a friend at a machine shop. 6 rows of 6 holes staggered and swirled. 5 mos. on and no problems. Stops great and almost no fade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a shop in austin tx that crossdrill rotors although he did require new factory rotors and did not quote a price until you had the rotors in hand. I have known some people that have had thier's done and love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts