Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go buy regular rotors from like pep boys can you take them in and have them cross drilled? I was talking to this guy at this brake shop and he said he can cross drill rotors for $20 a pop? Just wanting to know if it would work?
....Sorry I ment to post this in Preformance 2 first.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
hey man, i thought about that too, but ot a good idea. the guy told me that they will not do it because of the weakness that the crossdrilling will bring to the OEM rotor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is cross drilling really effective? I mean I see less surface area for the pads to grab with holes drilled in the rotor thereby reducing braking effeciency. And if the rotors are already ventilated via cooling fins running thru the middle then there should be adequete cooling for any street and even most race situations. Perhaps I don't see the light and someone could shed some for me! Otherwise I'd say just save your money ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not a good idea. While x-drilling will increase the rotors ability to cool it doesn't do a lot more than look good for street use. Better pads make the most difference. Also x-drilling a rotor that wasn't designed for it will significantly increase the chances of cracking the rotor when under stress, like during a panic stop. Good quality x-drilled rotors are actually cast witht eh holes in them in a certain pattern to make sure they don't crack easily and are chamfered to reduce the amount of extra wear they put on the pads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cross drilled rotors are an advantage becuase they will displace heat better than regualar ones. But cross drilling factory ones will weaken the intigerty of the brakes. I would just buy some cross drilled ones if you want some.

·
Registered
59 Posts
cross drilling does not help cool the rotors. The vents cool the rotors. Cross drilling helps dissipate the thin layer of gas that forms between the pad and the rotor which produces brake fade. Don't drill OEM rotors, they will crack. get rotors that have been forged with the holes in them. An alternative is to get them slotted, or slot your brake pads.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
cross drilling also reduces the "ball bearing" effect. but so does slotting. x-drilling helps cooling a little but not much. also reduces unsprung weight, but there is usually a certain area (between certain radii) that will not be drilled... this causes uneven pad wear...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actual "cross-drilling', where holes are drilled through the disk, causes points of stress where the disks will begin to crack even under normal breaking. Also, this process causes the disk to warp in or out at the drill point. If you want cross-drilled brakes, spend the cash for cast in place disks. The longevity and performance makes up for the price difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts