Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit the set button for the cruising speed, it takes the system about 3 seconds for the cruise to engage and then reach the speed I set it for. I set the speed, let off the pedal, the cars slows down, 3 seconds later the system kicks in and gets up to speed. This does not feel right. I have driven other cars and they engage instantly.
Does anyone else have this problem or is this just the way the cruise works on the MX6?
Thanks in advance, Wally.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My car takes probally 2 seconds to engage. That is normal for most cars, it takes a few seconds for the petal to reach the desired position. What i do is when i engage the cruise i leave my foot on the accelerator, then when i feel the petal leave my foot i know its engaged. That way your car dosen't slow down.

Justin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I do now. Every other car I have driven, the speed is engaged instantly. This sounds like a flaw with the MX6. It's dangerous as well.
You hit the button and then the car starts to slow about 5 mph before it begins to engage.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you leave your foot on the gas and it still slows down this could be a problem. Dose it accelerate properly when you push the button? If not then there is probally some kind of motor that is worn out. I don't know anything about the cruise system so i cant say for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine takes about 2 seconds to engage and for some reason the cruise always sets itself about 1.5-2mph higher than the speed I was going when it set it.

Something else my cruise occasionally does is turn it self off. It's only happened like twice but both times my foot was no where near the brake. Strange huh?

·
Registered
44 Posts
wal92tt said:
When I hit the set button for the cruising speed, it takes the system about 3 seconds for the cruise to engage and then reach the speed I set it for. I set the speed, let off the pedal, the cars slows down, 3 seconds later the system kicks in and gets up to speed. This does not feel right. I have driven other cars and they engage instantly.
Does anyone else have this problem or is this just the way the cruise works on the MX6?
Thanks in advance, Wally.
Check for a vacuum leak. The PCM controls the Cruise Control, might be the program then running in the rom.
My South African MX6's cruise control engages instantly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
mine does the same, it will only engage when the speed drops below what it's set to, so i slightly back off, let it drop 1-2kph, it engages, and goes to about 2kph over what i set it too. no vac leaks when i checked, so it might just be that way on most models. Coenraad, i see in your sig that with mods you're putting down 117hp? the average for a bone stock V6 is 135 at the wheels, perhaps the south african variant is different, and has a better cruise system?

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of my personal quibles with the MX6 is that the cruise control feels a little jerky, with the gas coming on or off too much. I've wondered if it could be that the same control algorithm is used for 4 and 6 cylinder models. Different engine characteristics should require different control responses, no?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Das00 said:
mine does the same, it will only engage when the speed drops below what it's set to, so i slightly back off, let it drop 1-2kph, it engages, and goes to about 2kph over what i set it too. no vac leaks when i checked, so it might just be that way on most models. Coenraad, i see in your sig that with mods you're putting down 117hp? the average for a bone stock V6 is 135 at the wheels, perhaps the south african variant is different, and has a better cruise system?
Das00, I've seen 135 as well on this site on over sees mx6's. Can also be that our dyno's are calibrated to a different standerd. This 117 is not just me, another guy with the same system gets 121 and a another guy with a stock 94 gets 118.

On the cruise side, maybe it is a different system or the program in the pcm was adapted for SA. Mazda here trades under SAMCOR witch also sell's Ford.

BUT I DIG MY SIX !

Happy MX6'ing !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts