Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a '93LS and have a slight problem. When I am cruising now it seems as though there is downward pressure on the speed (I slow down steadily). Of course you slow down when you don't gas it, but it seems as though it's more pronounced now then before. I was thinking maybe the transmission? I don't think its the tire alignment and everything else seems normal, please help?

I have another problem too. After I have been driving a bit, and my brakes are a little warm, it seems like there is sand or something on the pads. Its not the anti-lock, its more subtle then that. I can feel it in the brake pedal though, just slightly, its one of those things you would only notice if your car is your baby. They are fairly new pads, and rotors for that matter, and its only after they are warm, any ideas?

Thanks All!
Michael.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Rear caliper(s)

Claeren said:
I drive a '93LS and have a slight problem. When I am cruising now it seems as though there is downward pressure on the speed (I slow down steadily). Of course you slow down when you don't gas it, but it seems as though it's more pronounced now then before. I was thinking maybe the transmission? I don't think its the tire alignment and everything else seems normal, please help?

I have another problem too. After I have been driving a bit, and my brakes are a little warm, it seems like there is sand or something on the pads. Its not the anti-lock, its more subtle then that. I can feel it in the brake pedal though, just slightly, its one of those things you would only notice if your car is your baby. They are fairly new pads, and rotors for that matter, and its only after they are warm, any ideas?

Thanks All!
Michael.
Possibly, one or both rear brake calipers are hanging-up. The parking brake mechanism on 93 and 94 cars starts to seize over time and the rear brakes are left applied, to varying degrees.

That might account for both sensations: the fact that something seems to be holding the car back and the fact that you're feeling something odd in the pedal after having driven the car around a bit. The latter might be because the rear brakes are heating up dramatically, causing the rotor to distort slightly (warp).

One idea, anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My car is the same year as yours & I had the same problem with the front brakes. Got to the point where the wheels were getting hot!

The cure was to strip & re-build the calipers using new seals & bellows - The old bellows had split / stretched allowing dirt & water in and hey presto! sticking pistons. May be preferable to buy new / recon calipers but mine are ok now. Bit fiddly though getting those bellows in place!

Mike has covered the rear brakes, mine needed these sorting too.

James

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have there ever been any recalls on this problem because my rear brakes are locking up too. My car has 83k on it. Also does anyone know where I can get replacement calipers or a good aftermarket brand. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
GirlRacer said:
Have there ever been any recalls on this problem because my rear brakes are locking up too. My car has 83k on it. Also does anyone know where I can get replacement calipers or a good aftermarket brand. Thanks.
No, no recall though by rights there should have been one.

As far as replacements, you can have your existing ones rebuilt (which is what I did for one problematic rear caliper on my PGT) or you can buy reconditioned ones at, say, NAPA. That's a bit of a risk. If you ask for 1995-model calipers, you should be okay since that's when they "fixed" the seal problem.

Of course, you can go to a Mazda parts counter and ask but bring some smelling salts and oxygen to help you recover when they tell you the price :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I brought my car to the dealership to have them check my brakes and they said that the calipers are not my problem. They were fully aware of the design problem with the calipers and said if was that, then I would know. They are really great. But, my brakes are still doing something wierd. After I come to a complete stop and then go to take off again it sounds and feels like my brakes are hesitating to release. It only happens when I've driven long enough for the car to be warmed up. Do you think it could be the same problem, only the early stages? Please give me some insight. :)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hhmmm....

It seems that my 2 problems got blended into one. I still have to check into the whole caliper thing but I don't think its that.

The first problem feels more like its in the tranny or something, its not drastic but its like i slow and downshift at the wrong time/rate???

The brake problem is that if I brake after going fast and they heat up its like they have sand in them or something. Its almost like there are little balls of steel on the pad??
My pads are shaved on the back edge so that shouldn't happen but you never know?

Any other ideas are much appreciated, and the ones already given are all worth looking into, plus you never know what you might get for free if you make a big enough fuss! =)
Thanks all,
cya,
Claeren
----------------
Canadian '93 MX-6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts