Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was parked next to my house which loves me ;) and i could hear a crush sound when i pushed in the clutch. any ideas?

solar

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is going to sound insane, but.... when my catalytic converter started to go really bad there were pieces of the honeycomb inside that broke off in chunks. Whenever I would engage or disengage the clutch the motor would rock the exhaust some and there would be that sound. Get under your car and whack the cat a couple of times to see if that's it.
B

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
barry:

i have noticed that my cat is crushed. hehe, accident i had...oopsy!! and also there are two O-rings on each end that are not connected to anything, just hanging. that might be it. ill check it out. thx guys.

solar

·
Registered
131 Posts
o rings

My O rings are just hanging there too.. how do you know when your cat is bad?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine became slower and slower. Since the engine has to put out as much air as it takes in it can't afford to have the cat blocked by soot or broken off parts. Check the exhaust flow out the pipe. Mine not only felt slower and slower it would act as though there was something wrong with the ignition.
It can be tested at a shop.
Which "O" rings? Do you mean the gaskets for the connections in the exhaust system or the rubber hangers the system hangs from the body by?
B

·
Registered
131 Posts
slower

Well my car seems pretty slow in lower RPM's.. maybe that's it. The O rings I am talking about are the metal rings on either side of the cat.
Thanks for your help,

Alex

·
Registered
114 Posts
My problem was eventually so bad that only enough air would get through to allow the car to idle. Actually, the higher the rpm the more flow through the engine and exhaust. Therefore the faster the engine goes the worse the problem.
B

·
Registered
114 Posts
The "O" rings on each end of the cat where the flanges meet the rest of the exhaust system are just hanging there?? If so then you have an exhaust leak and possibly loose nuts holding the cat in the exhaust system. Those are the gaskets.
Lets make sure... are they on each end of the cat or on each side? I don't remember there being any on each side so it has to be each end.
B

·
Registered
131 Posts
ends

They are on each END of the cat. Just chillin there.

Alex

·
Registered
114 Posts
If they are indeed the gaskets (a sandwich of materials sometimes, depends on the manufacturer) then I suggest you put them back in place and then test the setup. While you're there knock the cat around to see if anything is loose inside.
Any muffler shop should have a tester where they put a probe inside your cat. It doesn't have to have parts loose inside to be clogged up.
B

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
You know if your cat is stuffed, and you don’t care about the environment you can hammer a pipe throe the inside to short it out. And it still looks like its operational {for the boys in blue}
I haven’t done this on my MX6 but it has worked for me on other cars.
BTW my 'cat' makes a squishing sound when I step on it! :p
Mr. MX6

G

·
crushing noise??

Well, if we're still talking about the crunching noise on clutch depression, the guide fork on the clutch actuator has clicked since my 93rs was brand new, but it has never caused a problem...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts