Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have heard of running carosene through the engine in order to flush out carbon build up.. I spoke to my mechanic about this and he said he has a fuel injector cleaning machine that does just that.. but instead of breaking down the carbon into "chunks" which sometimes can possibly clog the fuel line, this cleaner will actually crystalize it making it easier to get it all out safely... any thoughts on this? he wants to charge me 100.00 canadian to do it

whaddya think?

cheers

·
Registered
483 Posts
Rev her up!!!!!!! that is what cleans out the carbon from the engine, you might spend 100 dollar for the pressurized fule injector cleaning but remember it still comes back the carbon afterwards. the guy at mazda told me to take the car out at night and rev her up 6,500-7,000 rpms and you will see carbon fly out of the exhuast. this carbon buildup is from the gasoline. use chevron techron. save your money and beat up on the car a few times a month.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

thats intresting....

anyone else have thoughts on this?

cheers

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Ruf,

It sounds like you are talking about two different things. There's cleaning the injectors and then there's decarboning the combustion chambers.

On a daily driven car that's fed halfway decent fuel, injector cleaning should rarely, if ever, be needed. When a car sits for long periods of time, varnish and gum can build up in the fuel system, including the injectors, and cause problems.

Decarboning the engine is another matter. For this, there are several things you can do. Integrale4wd's idea will work for the only loosest carbonation in the chamber. Despite the turbulent environment that exists in the chambers at 7000RPM, it's not enough to get the worst of the cabon out. To get it, you'll need to:

- flash it off by water-misting. The sudden cooling presence of the water vapour can cause the carbon to flake off and be ejected out the exhaust.

- chemically attack it. In this scenario, the running engine is fed a solvent slowly enough not to damage it but quickly enough to get it to stall after a minute of feeding, by flooding. Usually, this is done through a large vacuum port near the throttle body. At this point, the chambers are saturated with the solvent, which softens the carbon up. After 15 minutes or so, the engine is re-started and the loosened, softened carbon is much easier to remove using Integrale4wd technique. If you go this route, I'd recommend an oil change before too much aggressive driving because some of the solvent will have leaked past the rings and into the sump.

Keep in mind that any carbon you loosen and eject will have to pass though the catalytic converter bed. As well, the chemical solution tends to make a hell of a mess with smoke :D

Maintaining a clean-burning motor is the best idea though. Keeping O2 sensors fresh and air and fuel filters clean is a good start. Highway trips are good. Short trips are bad.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a service that a mechanic would offer in order to
decoarbon the piston chambers?
My idle is a little ruf and I hear strange noises going on.. ever so slightly... I know its not the usuall hla knock because I am aware of it... My plugs and wires should be fine too, since I just did them last year about 9 months ago... it also seems to buck a lot more at really low rpms.. and this has gotten progressively worse the past few months... the engine has about 140,000kms on it now.. the last 30,000 of which I have done since about july last year as well.. any other thoughts?

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts