Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, stupid question maybe... But what exactly does the DOHC on my engine stand for.... ?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Hehe, since you live in Iceland, I think it's okay for you not to know what that stands for (since it is an english acronym).

DOHC = Dual OverHead Cam

Most of the engines in our first gens (except yours and other european mx6's) are the 2.2L SOHC (Single OverHead Cam).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this dual overhed cam, is this the same as a twin cam ??

If so do they operate independantly of each other, or what exactly do they do... another stupid question...

·
Registered
34 Posts
cams

In a DOHC, One came is for exhaust and one is for intake, make the process more effecient in exchanging gasses. Other than that, you would have to ask a more knowledgable person to get specifics.

Bob

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i strongly doubt that Fe3 had varible cam timing(i can be wrong :x)... the cams do work independantly though are driven by one belt

DOHC system also has better performance over its SOHC and OHV(over head valves) systems...... its easy to see that *cough* Honda *cough*, toyota, nissan..... most (if not all) use DOHC system........ DOHC system is also applicable to V shaped blockes but then its known as QOHC(quad overhead cam, ie two cams on each V part) like the amazing Lexus V8 4.0L...... many poeple refer to V shape beeing a DOHC..... wich seems correct, but is totaly untrue :rolleyes:, V has two cams but it is still SOHC system (oviosly not all V have that :p )

hope that clears some water :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts