Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues with the top hats and misc...read on.

Setup

-Cusco camber plates

-Ebay coilover sleeve kit with replacement springs (taller better rates)
I just used a "Megan Racing" sleeve kit for its threaded collar and lock rings.

-KYB struts (soon to be modified)

Where the hell do i put the strut bearing in? All I have is what is listed above ^^

With the "Megan Racing" top hats installed my cusco camber plate adjustment bolts hit it so it will not allow proper installation....

Do i need different top hats? What about strut bearings? I'm use to dealing with lowering springs, not coilovers...i searched but could not find out anything specific...saw some pics...didn't answer my Q really.

Thanks!

JACK.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured out the top hat strut shaft holes weren't big enough (just resting on the lip, didnt realize they had to slide down the shaft)

but i'm still curious about a STRUT BEARING :) i don't want to much friction between my suspension!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came up with a an idea to keep my camber plates from touching the top spring hats. i have some 4-link ES poly bushings laying around that should be able to cut up to safely get a 15-20mm space between them.

still curious if i can run a strut bearing tho lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pic of problem

pic of possible solution (bushing not modified)

let me know what you guys think, i'm going to bore both top hat and bushing to fit on the strut shaft tomorrow...does anyone know if the tokico illuminas had a thicker strut shaft compared to a KYB strut? (test subject is a blown illumina already modded for threaded collar)

JACK

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Well you could be useful and post what your solution was in case we encounter this in the future.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my problem is not solved. but no one here even wants to take a shot at this, so w/e this site annoys me a lot. unhelpful rude people. nothing against you.

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
I don't quite understand how we are rude people. Nobody knew the answer, so they weren't posting. That's being polite. So with that being said, I'll take my shot at this.

It looks like you will need a spacer like the one supplied with higher end coil over kits.

For example, the black conical spacer shown here:

You can have the spacer machined quite inexpensively from a local machine shop. Just take in pictures of what you need, and the parts they will need to fit in, and the shop will be able to take the measurements and make the parts for you.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
To be honest, I don't know how to solve it, and I think many others haven't run into it yet themselves. The best I can do is help search, but I don't know if I can truly be of assistance in doing so. Shoot, I can't even sit down and search till like 3 am at night tonight, like most nights. :tdown:

Edit - Maybe Nealio hit the nail right on the head with that for ya. Hopefully..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Make sure you use a spacer as small as possible to clear the bolts otherwise you will have virtually no strut travel.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Couple things....

Do these "megan racing" top hats have a recess for the strut bearing?

If so then its pretty easy...trim the adjustment screws flush and then assemble everything. The bearings sits on the adjuster plate.

If not, youll have to have a cone spacer machined(or purchased if the sizing is available...search under "high misalignment washers/spacers") to fit on the spherical ball much like in the pictures Nealio posted.

Mazda_Powered said:
unhelpful rude people.
So, lets get this straight....the issue is your lack of knowledge and your inability to find information for yourself.....but because the members here didnt spoon feed you the info (that you could have gotten through google) fast enough they are rude and unhelpful?

hmmmm

Gavin

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A Simple MX6 said:
unhelpful rude people.
So, lets get this straight....the issue is your lack of knowledge and your inability to find information for yourself.....but because the members here didnt spoon feed you the info (that you could have gotten through google) fast enough they are rude and unhelpful?

hmmmm

Gavin
Oh man, and here I thought you and I were cool Gavin... :tdown: :(

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
We are...I just had a brain fart :)

fixed.

Gavin
I figured, just thought I'd bring it to attention, if you don't mind. :angel:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts