Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, call me Tony Stewart, cause I'm now an offical member of the Home Depot racing team. I finished my cold air intake project today. I'm really quite pleased with the results and I can't see why anybody with a modicum of engineering prowess and ability to use hand tools would pay $200 bucks for a factory intake when you could make your own for $60 or less. Back in the day hot rodders fabbed-up all their parts. Somewhere along the line we've gotten away from that spirit and it's all about spending the most money and flashing the most brand names. I don't know. Nothing beats that satisfaction of doin' it yourself, and doin' it well. But I digress...

I used PVC pipe (about $10) and a K&N cone filter ($42). Removing the stock airbox and associated piping was by far the easiest part. From there it was just a few quick measurements, cut the pipe to size, drill the hole for the MAF, and toss everything together. Well, maybe it wasn't that simple, but I can givew you details if you email me. The biggest hurdle was insulating the filter from the exhaust manifold. I tried a couple of things starting with a plastic thing that I had to cut from the underside to make a hole for the filter, that melted. Then I tried a piece of plywood wrapped in foil. Started smoldering. Finally I settled on a piece of sheet rock drywall wraped in foil. That seemed to do the trick. It's kind of pressure fit on right now, until I can figure out a more permenant way to do it.

I took it for test drive and nothing fell off, so that's good. It seemed to pull a little harder than before, and it sounds cool. I don't have any dyno numbers for it besides the seat of my pants, but I can definatly feel a diffence. I recommend everyone try this. It just takes patience, a little trial and error, and an afternoon of your time.

I'll try and post pics if anyone want to see it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it felt good until the pipe started getteing so hot it was almost melting. So I'm just gonna make it a short ram intake for the time being until I can figure out a better way to do it. I could give a sh!t about the pipe, but I'm not to keen on destroying a $50 dollar filter. The filter size I used was RU-3560. And my airbox already had a 2.5" - 2" adapter, so I was in business. Well, I'll keep you posted on my progress. I will figure this out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I just experienced the same problem, with my custom CAI made out of pvc piping, and the solution I came up with is to try and get the heat covering like they use for headers, and wrap it around the pipe. I'm off to the store right now, so I'll let you know how it works....

·
Registered
543 Posts
that is why I used a mighty flow intake hose from AUTO ZONE. I have had mine for 3 years with no problems, and you also save weight over the pvc. you can buy them in any diameter, including 2 or 2.5 inches. They are made of thin plastic with a thin metal stip spiraling through it. They can be cut very easily.

I went to Autozone and bought a 2.5 in Mighty flow! intake hose to replace my ols 3 in hose. One problem I ran into was I could not get the 2.5 hose over the maf, so I cut off about 6 inches off of my 3 in hose and ran the smaller hose through it. Then, I used a 3 inch hose clamp to tighten them together to make sure there was no air loss.

Here is my web page for more details

http://www.geocities.com/adamk01452/MX-6_Intake.html

If you still have any questions email me

[Edited by MX-6 BOY jr on 05-05-2001 at 02:26 AM]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, I have been successfully driving around with the header wrap on my PVC intake, and have not had a problem at all. It stays cool, and works like a charm. In addition, if you are worried about appearence, if you buy the tape from thermo-tech, they also sell a paint for it. Check out
http://www.jegs.com for info on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts