Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Weapon R Dragon Intake with the included cold air shield and a custom air scoop that sits in the same place the HotShot filter sits (would sit) and (dryer) 4" hose running up from the scoop and attaching to the front of the air shield/filter, creating a ram-air effect. However I'm beginning to realize the 4" hosing is much too big. Smaller hose diameter means more air velocity correct? Right now the filter (with attached air shield) is attached right onto the end of the VAF. In looking to attain maximum HP out of the setup, should I relocate the filter to where the air scoop currently is? (Which would make the air shield seem pretty useles) Or am I ok with the current setup with the air shield as long as I'm getting cold rammed air up into the filter....in which case.....whats everyone's best experiences with hoses? Right now I'm using a flexible dryer hose from Home Depot, but it conducts way too much heat, and has a few tiny tiny tears in it. I've heard a lot about this MightyFlow hose from Autozone??? Any recommendations anyone?
I was also considering just removing the filter from the VAF and running a pipe or hose from the VAF to right in front of the radiator but pointing down at the ground instead of at the radiator and attaching the filter onto the end of that......therefore I'd have the filter in a "colder" location AND would not have a lot of twists and turns in the ram-air hose (It would then just be ramming air straight up into the filter)
If this all sounds confusing let me know and I'll put a few pics up.
Throw me some ideas please!!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I’d be interested in opinions on rjmc24 set up as well pleas.
I’ve put the filter directly on the vaf , and I’d thought on putting the filter in front of the radiator, but couldn’t see a way to get the pipe throe without squishing it.
Instead I put a large “dyer hose” over the filter, left filter connected directly to the vaf, and ran it down to below the splashguard, pointing forward like a little scoop {to give it the ram effect}. It works pretty well, but I’m not convinced yet.
Mr. MX6

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any opinions?

Anyone have any advice from past experiences or current setups?? Any other recommendations on hoses to use?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would relocate your filter to a colder location because the weapon r even with the heat shield is sucking in hot air from the radiator as well from the unprotected sides. Here is my webpage as well as info on how I made mine. I recently shortened my hose so the intake now sits on top of the splashguard. http://www.geocities.com/adamk01452/MX-6_Intake.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
done

Ok so I just returned from Auto Zone and Home Depot. I picked up the 2.5" x 72" Mighty Flow hose from autozone and a dryer roof vent with a 4" outlet. It has a circular connector which faces up and the bottom side of it is a rectangular opening which is angled down towards the cold air source (The underside of my car) It sits PERFECTLY in the hole almost straight underneath the battery. If you look under the car there is a flap that says "open" well right behind that is where the scoop is located....i got a 4" to 3" reducer and then connected the hose over the reducer and ran it up onto the end of my intake where the cold air shield forms a circular connecting point. The whole setup almost seems like a kit it all fits so perfectly. Noticeable increase in pull and sound from the engine. I'd highly recommend it!!
If anyone is interested ill post pictures.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yea! rjmc24, sounds good !!
Where is the filter located now?
Some pics would help.
Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts