Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I copied something off a site that enclosed their k&n filter with a cardboard box, which was wrapped by aluminum foil. They cut out a 4" hole on the bottom of the box which had a 4"dryer hose sticking into the bottom on the enclosed box and led the hose down through a small hole in the splash guard. I did thise to my filter and when the car revs you can actually feel air sucking into the aluminum dryer hose. So my filter is now sucking in all outside cold air.

The filter barly has any room to breathe. About a couple inches around from each side. Is it better to have the filter suck in more hot air when it was not enclosed or some what restricted all cold air??? THANKS

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks greg. Ive been wondering for a while now which was better.

·
Registered
475 Posts
PVC may be better than cardboard or aluminum foil but it is still not great.
As pvc heats up and cools down it eventually begins to crack. It cant take the constant/drastic change in temp. Im trying to fiugure out what other material could be used to make a CAI.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have been using an intake hose from Autozone for years with no problem. I cant remember who makes the hose itself(mighty flow or maxflow?), buti t is a three inch wide and 26 in(you can cut them shorter) It is a made of thin black plastic with a thin metal strip through it to maintain its shape.

my intake is just like a hot shot only intead of using the hot metal pipe,I use the intake hose. I use 2 three inch hose clamps to fasten it to the filter on one end and the maf on the other. Another diference between my inake and the hot shot, is that my filter is laying down on top of the splash guard laying down rather than under the car upright where it is more suseptable to water. I used as shoe a shoe lace to tie it on tightly to the splash gurd to keep it from falling off. Another advantage to the filter laying down on top of the splash guard rather than poking out like the HS is it is less likely to fall off.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I like the sound of that, do u happen to have any pics?? Where exactly is the splash guard on our cars?
Thanks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is those plastic sheets under the the front of the car that keeps the motor and alternator from getting wet.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5335/hotshot.htm

HEre is a site with instructions and pictures of the hot shot. See how the filter pops out from the bottom of the car? That opening on the bottom of the car where the filter pops out of is where I have my intake lying down on top of to avoid water injestion and getting knocked off.
You can buy a filter part nu re 0930 for $40. The hose is only $11. The best way to set it up is to jack up your car on the front drivers side tire. Attach one end of the hose in hte filter opening,and use a 3 in hose clamp to secure them together. Now, run the other end of the hose up through the opening ,I mentioned earlier where the filter comes out of and un it toward the maf. Now, just tie the filter very securely

put the car back down, and go back up to th motro. Find the other end of the hose, and attach itt to the maf with another 3 in hose clamp.

That is it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hmm, I think I may give this a try. My only concern is sucking water into the engine, but fromwhat I've heard it isn't too likely.
I was thinking about even painting the intake hose with chrome spray paint to make it look a little diffeent then a regular black hose. Thanks for the help.

I'll let u know how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts