Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i wanna get a custom catback(more than likey will) what is the difference in the different diameters, does it matter? and of a 94 v6 i need 2 90degree and 2 45degree bends right?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The difference in diameter merely affects how much air flows out of your engine. For example, a 2.0" diameter pipe flows more air than a 2.25" diameter and therefore frees up a few more ponies. However, this is a double-edged sword. While a 2.25" pipe is outflowed by a 3.0 or 3.5" pipe, it's nowhere near restrictive enough to use the horsepower it would theoretically free up and therefore will actually lose you horsepower via a loss of backpressure. People say that the V6 doesn't NEED backpressure, but every engine does to some extent. I would recommend 2.25" or at the VERY most 2.5" piping. About the bends and stuff, I don't know for sure but I would just have the shop you're using look at your stock exhaust and fabricate a bigger replica. That's what I did }) Hope this helps!
Crooks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i plan on putting nitrous it my car will that effect it?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nitrous won't affect your exhaust or anything, but it WILL affect lots of other stuff. Just like with a turbo, you should upgrade your engine internals (pistons, cams, etc) to accomodate the FI. But your exhaust will be fine.
Crooks

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Go with 2.5" if you plan on building up your engine, like cams, ZE IM and etc. ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would go with 2.5 if You plan on spraying it since nobody else wants to point out that with nitrous You need to be able to flow more air or You will run into the same problem I did like blowing out your cat.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
go 2.5 regardless....i tried the 2.25 and it was quicker than stock but the 2.5" was alot better...you can tell the car can breath....and now that i am squeezing with all my mods...the car loves it...and i do too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts