Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's not as original as Gavin or Larken's intakes but it was a lot cheaper and a lot more work.

This time it's for the 89GT, the first one like this I did is on the 88GT (it will be redone this winter).

PERFORMANCE:

So I started with the easiest part, the dynamic chamber, I stole the one off the 88GT (I have ported another already for the 88GT and started polishing it last winter). I ported it a bit more at the runner openings, removed the outer casting seems and smoothed the outside then sand blasted it.

Next was the intake manifold, I ported it with extensions and long shaft sanding cartridges.

After porting I removed all the casting seems and rough spots on the outside and sand blasted it inside and out.

The throttle body was one I made a few years back for my second GT, it's the same as the one I made for the 88GT but it leaked to much air passed the flaps to idle properly, it's a 5speed TB ported to fit the upper shaft and flap from an auto TB. The stock lower flap wasn't sealing properly, so I used one from another TB. Then I sand blasted it and pulled out all 4 seals and bearings, installed and tapped the flaps and powder coated the edges to ensure a good seal when shut:

The old donor auto TB was also good to take the seals and bearings from:

===========================

APPEARANCE :

So my plan was elaborate, everything was to be coated in chrome, then candy blue (central engine) or transparent blue (fire wall, strut towers, rad support) then cleared with crystal clear supper durable powder coat with aqua blue glow in the dark additive added.

The intake manifold:
After an extensive plugging and taping I cleaned it one last time in acetone and hung it up to powder coat the next day, that evening Rob (shop partner) shined his tires in the shop without me knowing, when I coated it the next day it made a terrible mess and required complete sand blasting (over 30 hours worth) and re-taping.
Even then after extensive cleaning it still fish eyed when I applied the chrome so I sanded it down and applied a few coats of KL killer primer powder coats then the chrome:

I applied the candy blue and it looked great, then I added the clear with additive -(very touchy, even though I used a few tricks I came up with to keep it from clumping, online all I found was people used a clean nut in the reservoir to shake and fluff the powder coat. I wrapped a screen around the outlet hose and after searching silica I gathered a bunch of pouches opened them and wrapped them in a piece of screen this way I could stick the silica in the oven and reanimate/activate it, then put it in the gun canister with the PC keeping it dry) but so many coats had been applied that at this point (and for several coats before) I had to heat it up and coat it hot in order to get the powder to stick, this requires a full day of curing from the previous coat and must be put in the oven quickly or the powder will cure on the part and leave a rough finish even after it's baked. the clears are very forgiving but the glow in the dark additive is the least forgiving powder I have used and must be put back in the oven very quick, the intake being so large it started to cure and cool as I coated it leaving a rough textured finish I decided I could live with.

The dynamic chamber:
This was the most complex part of the plan I had, I polished the entire plate where the logo was and then tediously cut the original factory writing out in high temp tape.
The pan was to get the candy blue on the whole thing and then pull off the tape revealing the factory logo in polished aluminum then clear the whole thing with Glow in the dark additive which works best over light colors so the logo would stand out: (Valve cover for BlackMx6 in the background).

The letters took sooo long to cut out and it would have been sweet had thing gone right but.... the curse of Robs f'ing tire shine continued, despite the fact I washed it with acetone, smeared the lettering, cleaned it with varsol then outgased the part it fish eyed a bit and I had to apply 2 coats of kl primer and sand it all down, after about 8 coats it finally looked amazing:

I added the blue and it looked even better BUT after so many coats of powder coating as I pulled the tape off while it was really hot it came off ok but as it cooled the 9 coated of powder coat was too thick for the detail of the tape and it all went bad.

So I take the powder coat off the logo plate and sand and polish it again, this time the plan is to tape the polished part and reapply chrome and then candy blue, pull the tape and clear/ glow in the dark the whole thing then apply a logo in black.... but the clear turned to ass on the second coat and it looked unacceptable ( at some point I remember putting transparent blue over the polished section with, I forget what lettered in tape there???

I don't know how many coat where applied at this point -+15 but I sanded the whole thing smooth and reapplied the chrome base, it looked great as I pulled it from the oven but so much powder had built up on the wire hanger and baked on that chunks fell on the front :mad:, the next day I sanded it yet again, used new wire to hang it and got a good chrome finish.
Then the blue, it was going on nicely but the gun spewed some chunks on the left front side :mad: I had to put it in the oven anyway, it turned out OK so I cleared it with no additive this time and then did the lettering on the polished section MAZZ CARNAGE RACING, Done quickly, I then put one coat of clear on with GlowID additive, the dynamic chamber was the right size, it didn't cure before I got it back in the oven, it came out great, I did two coats.

I also powder coated a bunch of engine brackets, mounts and stuff that was coated and put right back on the car (all with Glow in the dark additive).

The finished parts:

(The smudges are just light reflecting off the clear)

(This is the only half descent picture of the parts glowing I ever got, there are a lot more that glow on the car and it looks amazing in person but is hard to get a good picture of with the cameras I have.)

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
damn nice work on that throttle body. engine bay is most definitely immaculate. good shit

·
Registered
694 Posts
My God man!!!!!:eek: You sir, have waaaay to much time on your hands!!!:p
That is easily the nicest engine bay i've seen yet!!:tup:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks friken sweet, i wish however you would have done some glassy black. IIMO that would look bad ass.
Well i am doing a Glossy black with gold or chrome accessories for one of Robs (shop partner) cars and a Gold with gloss starlight black (never ordered it but because I didn't know about the free gloss black with orders over 100$ and ordered gloss black they sent it instead and like it) accessories on my 626 lx/gt. The 88GT is getting candy red and translucent red and many hand polished and cleared aluminum parts.

Funny you mention Gloss black, it is a nice color but do you have any idea how hard it is to get the factory semi-gloss black off the metal brackets? All that work to paint them black again. Every time I order powder coating from powderbythepound I get the choice of a free gift -Plastic swatches of powder coat powder colors (7$+- list price) or two pounds of gloss black powder (16-24$ depending on sale), I have so many many pounds of gloss black powder but no plastic swatches.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
wow.....looks awesome. Ill give you 10 bucks to do my engine bay next:p

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Not you obviously and thats my point. Sure you have a point too and I have done the same as you many a time in my life, Im just anal retentive when it comes to things that really matter. You're pretty passionate about this car so why stop there? Do you get what I'm saying at least?

There's a point where fcuk it get it done works, but when you really care about something....why not go the extra step? Just for curiousity. What if you deviated by just a few CC's and that few CC deviation caused you to unknowingly go lean in one cylinder just because you made it slightly different than the rest? Would you notice or even care? Now do you get what I mean?

LOL at the banner link at the bottom of this page:
Econoaid Throttle Body Booster

PS- You must spread some Reputation before giving it to Carbage again.

·
Registered
959 Posts
soo... its not really a custom manifold.. its a polished and painted stock manifold...

·
Registered
288 Posts
its sure shiny! and thats a clean engine bay

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
What size of injectors are you running on your 5th injectors. I'm beginning to think its better to add a 5th injector to the stock system than put MS on. Especially if you want to keep your car legal and need to pass an e-test.

·
Registered
694 Posts
WOW!!! Nice job!!:tup: I bet NOS Energy drinks could probably sponsor you!! Your car looks just like some of there's!!:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts