Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knwo this has been gone over a number of times but Im hoping to get soem advice from people have tried one or the other and find out what problems they have faced with either method.

First off Ill give you a bit of background I purchased soem turbos off ebay two t3 one with a t4 flange and one tdo4...Im trying to determine which will be best to use..Im thinking the td04 may be a lil to laggy..

Anyhow just wonderign those who have tried adaptor plates and custom mainfolds..how much was your setup, did you encounter any problems, where performance gains noticed over one or the other, and finally if in victoria can you recommend some good workshops for this sort of work?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
the td04 is opposite to a little too laggy.
t3 and t4 flange turbos have more variety and aftermarket support. plus you can actually buy the flanges for adpater plates off ebay

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
For adaptor plate well - anyone will skills in welding can adapt one for you.

as for your turbo's

T3/T4 I could of had one rebuilt hi-flowed but I don't use it - why because this is not 1993 - if it was 1993 I would use it. but it's 2005

the TD04 if it's off a WRX well it's better alround, it's a later model but it too is a bit old. but better in terms of age and desgin.

sure the T3/T4 combo are comon and rebuilt, but unless you plan on building a drag car 25PSI and rebuilding the turbo often. Go for the new one.

I'm going brand new custom one becuase why play with old gear, it's like going backwards. If my budget wa big enough I would get a Variable flow Garrett, but by the time I put one on I could have bought a good 2nd hand 97 model Mx-6

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
depending on what t3 it is. and what trim etc, they will make a lot more powr than a td04.
for instance, look at people on here with t3's ie tripharn etc, depending on what trim his has etc, he's making far more power than you'll ever do with a td04.

and when u say t3/t4 are old, thats quite a big prejudice statement. theres so many t3's and t4's on the market, of all different trims, cores etc.

like for instance would u use an r33 ball bearing t3 or a wrx td04. i know what i'd be using.

rodhog said:
For adaptor plate well - anyone will skills in welding can adapt one for you.

as for your turbo's

T3/T4 I could of had one rebuilt hi-flowed but I don't use it - why because this is not 1993 - if it was 1993 I would use it. but it's 2005

the TD04 if it's off a WRX well it's better alround, it's a later model but it too is a bit old. but better in terms of age and desgin.

sure the T3/T4 combo are comon and rebuilt, but unless you plan on building a drag car 25PSI and rebuilding the turbo often. Go for the new one.

I'm going brand new custom one becuase why play with old gear, it's like going backwards. If my budget wa big enough I would get a Variable flow Garrett, but by the time I put one on I could have bought a good 2nd hand 97 model Mx-6

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what wree these off trip?? Im interested though how ehavy are they?? I wonder how much shipping would be to vic

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im interested

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
depending on what t3 it is. and what trim etc, they will make a lot more powr than a td04.
for instance, look at people on here with t3's ie tripharn etc, depending on what trim his has etc, he's making far more power than you'll ever do with a td04.

and when u say t3/t4 are old, thats quite a big prejudice statement. theres so many t3's and t4's on the market, of all different trims, cores etc.

like for instance would u use an r33 ball bearing t3 or a wrx td04. i know what i'd be using.

with money No option would not use a R33 turbo either. -= maybe steel wheel version but still we put up about oh 10 on a ET pulsars E15T motor and they all blew but all performed the same as they should have being off the same motor.
eventually a good decent Gt series turbo off a crashed import came about fitted up on a new manifold produced same power but better power right through the range. That is the difference.
In fact I've seen the figures put out by people on this board and most quite good others quite poor for the amount of boost.

but I still stand by it a T3 - garret is an old turbo - period.

If you talk turbonetics T3/T4 trims it's totally different ball game.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
rodhog don't forget everyone thinks cheaper is better, they don't spend good money on a decent turbo.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
naa we dont Mark we dont have money *lol* thats the thing none of us a rich *lol* so we do the best we can with what we can...im damn happy with the turbos I pciekd up the will be checked and balanced etc..before I fit which ever one I used so Im not too concerned hell if I can whip up a lil something that gives me a lil mroe power in the car then so be it..i dont care if it is the cheapest way possible as long as its still effective..

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
scott, uve seen my old td04. very very small turbo, put it up against scotts stocky IHI, not too much in it size wise, it should be a better turbo tho (design wise), but i woudlt say a worthwhile upgrade

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Custom Manifold: I dont know much about them but I asked for a price from this performance exhaust shop (Exhaust Technology) and they quoted me like $1500 for the manifold...but I guess other local exhaust shops would do it cheaper like $600 or something...Thats all I know unfortunately zorb...

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
Dandy exhaust will make one for you. Looking at around 600.
Dadler in Dandy will also make one for you. You would be looking at about the same price.
Or I can weld a flange to an original manifold for less than that.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He he he well scott actually I wanted to talk to you to find out which turbo you would think would be the most appropriate..if your free ont he weekend soemtime that woudl be great

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

the biggest differance is that the t3 was designed through alot of trial and error and while advanced in its day its as backwards as buggery now....

something like your td04 - you are looking at wheels deisgned with 20 years of knowledge to advance the design not to mention the massive increases in metallurgy our races have made.

if you wanna use a t3, why not just pull your ecu & injectors out and go back to a suck through carby??

considering a new turbo is not dear anymore there is almost no excuse.... just my 2 cents

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
or just make a custom manifold, not hard if you got patience and good welding skills

1 - 18 of 18 Posts