Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 523 Posts

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Make it. I'll buy two.

It would be just the excuse I need to do a proper full exhaust on my mint OEM '90 626GT Touring with 75k original miles.

If I'm feeling spry I might buy three, to sell one to some poor sclub who missed out on the initlal build.

Another thought that would add cost, but something I'd personally pay for, milling the flanges flat after welding to ensure flatness for better sealing, resistance to bolt breakage...Yes, It's happened to me, too many times....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the advice Ryan. I hadn't thought of that. I sent my friend a message regarding milling the flanges. I'll let you know what he says.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Another thought that would add cost, but something I'd personally pay for, milling the flanges flat after welding to ensure flatness for better sealing, resistance to bolt breakage...Yes, It's happened to me, too many times....
I have found bolting the flange up to a spare piece (turbo hot housing....) or a flat piece of metal with bolt holes drilled in the right spots eliminates most of the heat distortion.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Good point. Let it cool bolted to the jig. As long as the jig is flat and the bolts ate tight that should work.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Is this mild steel or stainless? I'm in the process myself of fabricating one of these up and I would be more than happy to do so for our Aussie members once I get it set out right. Where did you get those flanges or were they custom made?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
He kept it bolted in the jig when welding and after welding to cool. Preventing heat distortion is one of the reasons he made the jig.

The housing is 100% stainless. He drew/designed the flanges and cut them out on a cnc plasma table.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Well, good news.

I think we have plenty of clearance for the wastegate. Here are some pictures of clearance and amount of movement the flapper gets. What do you guys think? I don't think it would be necessary to mill out that section of the flange.

Here is a side shot with the gate positioned roughly 1/2" from closed position where the actuator would fully open the flapper.

Here is how far the gate can actually open.

He polished and cleaned it up. This is how they will be delivered.

For the fence he will probably just shear a piece to size and roll it to a perfect fit. Once the fence is in and he gets the 02 bung on, it will be ready to send to me to be tested out.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
I for one couldn't say if the wastegate opens far enough, as I've no idea how far it can open, or needs to open on the stock housing to control boost. Also one of those things I'd do myself just for insurance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I measured the wastegate actuator's movement and it only moves ~1/2". With this custom flange, the arm is able to move ~3/4", so it should be good to go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Keeping my hopes up, looks like this is still going somewhere.

I'll keep saving my $.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
It's DONE!!!

The nut below the O2 sensor required a smaller washer due to the weld so it would lay flat. I was able to use the OEM nut with an open end 17mm wrench.

The nut below the wastegate tube was a major pain! I was able to use two different 17mm wrenches. One 6 point & one 12 point. On the bottom end, I had to grind one edge of the flanged bolt to slide into the hole by the wastegate tube.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's some hot stuff.. very nice.

Estimated price per unit?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
$175 shipped. It's amazing the difference vs the stock O2 housing. No boost creep & spools so much faster. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Oh man, I can't even DREAM of what it must feel like.

Ill scrape up some funds, very interested.

21 - 40 of 523 Posts