Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Oh, OK. Just wanted to ensure you weren't upset about an order you placed & didn't get one after payment or something. Sorry...can't help you monetarily, but I can help with customer service. Just remember, there most likely won't be an "end" to these being produced. As long as orders continue to trickle in, he'll keep making them. And even if they do stop, he'll keep the jig in case interest sparks again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine arrived today, it is a nicely made piece of work. Even has instructions included, quite a professional approach. A big thank you to mjspiess, as suggested by the instructions is indeed in order, so a big THANK YOU, mjspiess.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have found Marshall pretty responsive, answered every email within a day or so.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Sajo just sent me an email stating he got his on Saturday.

He said it is a lovely piece of work!

In a few days, Gavin is going to be examining the device, ergo, etc. so watch for commentary in the coming weeks.
I know nothing....but I will in a couple days ;)

Gavin
So I met with Sajo (Steven) a couple of weeks ago to do an exploratory run at a local junkyard (two 90 5-door 626GTs and a 91 DX) and he brought along a box to show me.....hmm, so whats in the box? :)

The first things that struck me about the housing were...the weight, the welding and the fitment of the individual components used to make the unit.

Mind you, I am not a welder or a structural/materials engineer, but I have an eye for detail and enough practical experience engineering parts and working with craftsmen to get the products I need. I think from that I can recognize the markings of what makes a quality item.....or not. :shrug:

Weight... not a bad thing for an item thats going to need to endure the heat/heat cycling on the hot side of the turbo without cracking prematurely. I didnt measure the thickness of the tubing, but Id assume 14ga stainless steel and that should be plenty durable.

The flanges were about 3/8" (maybe 1/2") or so. The cheezy flatedge said the edges were flat and without warpage, which speaks well of the welding and fixtures used......speaking of welding

Welding....Good stuff. TIG welding throughout.The welds were clean, without contamination, consistent in spacing (puddle to puddle), excellent penetration, nothing looked to be undercut (welds under the surface) and there was little excessive filler.

Its the little things that matter here and this is where a skilled craftsman shows his chops....consistency comes from hours of practice, attention to detail and cleanliness in preparation, getting 100% penetration and fine control of heat migration to the surrounding area. Cumulatively this attention to procedure adds to the strength of the welds and the overall product. To blend all of these aspects together successfully shows that the welder is of a high degree of skill. (the merge between the wastegate tube and the main body makes a tight angle...the welding in this narrow confine is pretty impressive)

Fitment....this goes to preparation procedure (garbage in = garbage out). The joints of the individual pieces were very well fitted together to minimize excessive gaps, lips or awkward angles. All of that can mean a lot of PITA hand fitting, but its worth it in the end as that tighter fitment means less filler is needed a stronger weld can be gained and overall better strength in the product.

My conclusions (on this one item) are that this is a very well done product. I liked what I saw and didnt find anything questionable in the O2 housing (materials or assembly) that would leave me to believe it would not be durable under the heat and stress given by the hot side of the turbo. BUT...does it fit?? I do not know as I did not see it installed, but I imagine the fitment should be as good as the effort made in its assembly....It does look like the "5 o-clock" bolt may be a bit of a pain to deal with (a smaller hex head nut may be needed), but otherwise thats about it. :)

Gavin

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have to agree with Gavin on all points, and I have done fabrication and TIG welding before. The only minor downside I can see is where the pipe joins the lower flange, quite a protrusion there on one side, but I don't really see how it could have been done better. It probably wouldn't have any effect on the efficiency, but a touch up with a file should fix most of that anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this housing to anyone, quality is good and putting it side by side with the original shows the vastly superior flow that this will have.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Before I blow my load and finally put a down payment on this thing, can I get a conformation that they are still available?

Just want to make double sure, thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Yep, they are still available. One was delivered last week to a member on PerformanceProbe & he finished up another this weekend for Chris Ferguson. It should be delivered this week.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Awesome!

Sending payment now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Too soon to ask how it's doing?

Oh gosh, I would just die seeing a picture of it being made..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Yeah, a little too soon. He's been working 60+ hour weeks. He's going to try and tackle them in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
873 Posts
No problem, thanks for the update.

81 - 100 of 523 Posts