Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
there has been talk a time or two about getting rid of the backseat... and even someone sleeping taking out the backseat to sleep in there with their legs in the trunk.

if its custom.. go custom.. but plan on taking a looooong time for anything fiberglass.. wear long sleeves.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
double post i know but... thought i'd show off the beginnings of my custom sub box

thats for my blazer... building a box in the spare tire that sits inside the car.. hopefully i'll get it sometime but with the temps never getting above 5 its kind of tough to get fiberglass to want to harden up.

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
well i just built a box to fit in the backseat area. i tried to fiberglass it but it was my first time and it turned out looking like shit so ive decided to go ahead and carpet the box. ill try to get pics up this weekend of my box just so you get a general idea of what the box looks like. later, hurley

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Here's the one in my old MX6:

This took me 2 weeks to do, but fit perfect. Even the guy that bought it was amazed that it did not require any screws to mount it to the car because it was pressure fit to the car.
Here's a link to the process I used: http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/260613/2

As for the back seats, I had plans of doing this in my show days, but not now. Its not really that difficult. I was going ot use the seat belt bolts as the bolts that would hold it to the car. Make a fiberglass mold of the place where the seats "sat" and then mount your rings to that and wrap it. Adding an amp rack into the design complicates things, but it you know what your doing, then you can figure it out. One thing to remember with fiberglass is that if you screw up, its almost impossible to fix it. Measure 1000 times, cut and shape once. Plan every step, even the little ones, thats what produces a quality product.
If you've got any questions regarding it, let me know, I was an installer for 3 years, and still am part time.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I never finnished :(

Pnut- Interesting concept you got going there... How big of sub do you plan to put in that? Are you mounting it regular or backwards so the sub aims into the box?

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
There are lots of different styles of boxes.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes6.asp

The problem is... is that it takes incredible amounts of audio/physics/electrical know how to design such boxes. Such as this... can you figure this out?

Clear as mud?

Such boxes were once used in the mid to late 1990's in competitions. Unfortunately these are harder to build then they are to design... such as 1/64th of an inch off in any area of the box will lead to the box being wildly off spec... and the box sounding awfull.. as well as marked losses in SPL. SO such boxes are NEVER used any more: for anything really. Not only that but the bass was horrendous at best: since the box was solely designed for specfic tones... and not actual music.

The best boxes for subs are the tried and true ported or sealed.

About those two "facing" subwoofer configerations: thats called "Isobarik/isobaric" Thats so that you'd have two sub motors powering (essentially) one cone.. so you'd get away with half the subwoofer box size but not lose any SPL or SQ in the process. The problem is that you need double the power and you wont get any more SPL then you would with only one sub.
The reason why people dont use ISOBARIK configuration subs anymore... is because they ONCE had a time back in the mid to early 1990's (and late 80's) when subs were designed in a way that box size was not a consideration. So the boxes for some of the subs were mammoth huge to say the least... like a 3 cubic foot box for a single 12" was NUTS. But manufacturers realized that real estate space was at a premium in the trunk... so the subs were re-designed across the board: so that they would work perfectly (they way there designed to) with utilizing a small box. So that design in cars went the way of the dodo-bird.

hope that helps:wave:

·
Registered
641 Posts
i was thinking of doing somehting like this too fiberglassing the whole back seat and only putting one seat directly in the center it would be really nice to actually see something like this but i have not seen anything of the sort yet but i had to make up some more drawings with have two seats back the still after fiberglassing because i have a kid on the way so this is what i would like to do to my car when it gets warm outside it is not the best drawing not a photoshop image just a hand drawing i put together for my idea i want to just use the same box i have and replace the back of it with plexiglass but want to fiberglass my amps and capacitor into a visble area with people sitting in the back seat
here is a site that can be very helpfull i haven't really went through it all but it seems to be a good site
http://www.carstereo.com/help/index_installation.cfm
this is another one i just looked up there you go hope this helps
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

·
Registered
641 Posts
that is nice but not there yet i am making a fiberglass mount to go between the seats for one amp and i want to mount my other amp between the two seats up on the rear deck between the speakers and the clear part of the back seats where you can see into the trunk i want to put a piece of plexi glass on the back of the sub box so then i can see through it and put the cap between the two seats as well beside the amp

JoKeR6 said:
Been done before.....

look here. Sean did it, looks sweet to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts