Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so i just lowered my 6. I chopped one full coil off so it took off about an inch or so... sometimes looks like 2 inches sometimes none... I only did the fronts. I haven't noticed a difference in ride, it looks a lot better, and it doesn't make any weird sounds or anything. Some people say if you cut it with a die grinder it will heat the spring up and weaken it. Other people say it won't heat it up enough to make a difference. Just wanted everybody's input and leme know what you think! :jump: Thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
you will feel a difference. My buddy cut his once and everytime his car went on a lift they would pop out. just a cheap hack and headache.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i assume you mean you cut the stock springs?

if you did that should be fine...
the only time you will have issues of springs popping out is if you cut lowering springs since they are short already and they will now not fill out the strut,

the stock springs are compressed enough already that even if you took a coil off they would still fill the length of the strut and you will have no issue even when fully extended. your only issue now is that your probably on stock struts, which are not meant to be lowered on, you may find yourself with broken struts sometime soon.

as long as you like it and you understand that eventually your struts are going to blow, then your fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hmm interesting i think it looks good from the angles u can see the car

and kee me posted on how it goes i think ill try that to my springs untill i get my tokico springs

and i c you have fog light covers and tail light covers where did u pick those up iv looked everywhere thanks...

·
Registered
939 Posts
i dont think those are tailight covers, looks like he used nightshades to tint them,

idk about the fogs tho,, look like they are tinted too.

·
Registered
939 Posts
bad idea ..just get a set of lowering springs ,an struts with them .

if you have some proof behind the "bad idea" comment tha twould be more usefull then just your set opinion...

if you did research there are many threads on suspension, and alot of issues regarding cutting the springs, and in the end most people (even though think otherwise at first) agree that cutting your springs is fine.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
We will see you in 6 months saying "what kind of shocks can I get for my chopped springs as somehow my old ones are busted". If you live that long. Ive never seen a car with chopped springs last more then 6-12 months without blowing the shocks.

Chopping springs is pretty stupid, makes for a bumpy ride, fucks your shocks pretty quickly, the car handles like shit and you get a sore head from hitting it on the roof of the car over speed bumps. Now that is comfort/performance, you also have made your car unroadworthy, because you have alot less stability. If you are game go take a decent corner at about 50mph and notice the car wobbling back and forth as it tries to throw it self off the road.

The heat does nothing, the fact that you have thrown off your spring rates and changed the length of the coil will fuck you up though. Hope you dont die, cya.

Also chopped springs will blow struts quicker then lowered springs on stock struts. Both are a shit idea though.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have lots of friends that cut springs and it isnt the best way to do things but i think is ok, it will kill your shocks in a few months though

·
Registered
954 Posts
if that's ur only option they should be ok for ~6 months, my friend had his miata on cut springs for 4 months and it was a pretty rough ride but it was a temp solution for him since the springs he ordered came in.

i wouldn't make it a permanent solution though, like it was said before, cutting springs changes the spring rates and, in effect the suspension geometry of the car

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The heat does nothing, the fact that you have thrown off your spring rates and changed the length of the coil will [fizzle] you up though. Hope you dont die, cya.

Also chopped springs will blow struts quicker then lowered springs on stock struts. Both are a [shizzle] idea though.

, like it was said before, cutting springs changes the spring rates and, in effect the suspension geometry of the car
EDIT: Ignore please :)

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Your suspension will conform to the road with softer springs but what about body roll? Stiffer springs help reduce body roll which is one of the reasons that cars don't handle as well as they should.

and i c you have fog light covers and tail light covers where did u pick those up iv looked everywhere thanks...
He spray painted them. There are no covers for the fog lights or tails. You can buy spray on tint and darken them. The other option is to buy tinted vinyl and overlay the fog lights and tails with it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Your suspension will conform to the road with softer springs but what about body roll? Stiffer springs help reduce body roll which is one of the reasons that cars don't handle as well as they should.
That delves a lot deeper into the world of suspension tuning than this thread encompases.

Note I didnt say he made the right decision, the OP made his decision without knowing the hows and whys behind the successes and failures of this particular mod.

The "correct" way to do this is very open ended because there are endless factors to consider.

But lowering the car slightly will reduce body roll significantly without the need for extra spring rate, although going too far can induce even more roll than tha car had to begin with. It's a slippery slope and there is no right answer that can be spelled out in a forum for all to follow.

Keep in mind that when you increase spring rate at all 4 corners your not just helping the out side wheels resist body roll your helping the inside wheels induce body roll. In the end the biggest factor in reducing roll is usualy the fact that you have reduced the suspensions to the point that the car cant roll with out the inside wheels lifting. This is a bad way af trying to control roll because it compromises the suspensions main function.

Proper geometry, lower center of gravity are the only proper way to control excessive roll, The springs are there to support the vehicle and the dampers are there to control the springs and un sprung masses.

reality forces compromises but forcing the suspension to play a major role in controlling the body on top of it's intended purpose reduces the potential performance of the suspension by a huge margin.

Damn, I'm rambeling on and not being very coherent. I'll try again in the morning lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm interesting i think it looks good from the angles u can see the car

and kee me posted on how it goes i think ill try that to my springs untill i get my tokico springs

Those are not covers I spray tinted the tail lights and I just painted the fog lights black seeing as the front bumper is going in the garbage soon and the fog lights did not work due to an electrical problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We will see you in 6 months saying "what kind of shocks can I get for my chopped springs as somehow my old ones are busted". If you live that long. Ive never seen a car with chopped springs last more then 6-12 months without blowing the shocks.

Chopping springs is pretty stupid, makes for a bumpy ride, fucks your shocks pretty quickly, the car handles like shit and you get a sore head from hitting it on the roof of the car over speed bumps. Now that is comfort/performance, you also have made your car unroadworthy, because you have alot less stability. If you are game go take a decent corner at about 50mph and notice the car wobbling back and forth as it tries to throw it self off the road.

The heat does nothing, the fact that you have thrown off your spring rates and changed the length of the coil will fuck you up though. Hope you dont die, cya.

Also chopped springs will blow struts quicker then lowered springs on stock struts. Both are a shit idea though.
It is a temporary thing until I can afford Eibach lowering springs. The ride isn't bumpy, speed bumps are fine if you go slowly over them (which they are there for) and I have buddies who have had their springs cut for 2 years. There is one part I will agree with you though, the handling is now shit, however, it could just be my wheel bearing which is about to break off. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, thanks a lot for all your guys input I think I get the general idea. Like I said, it is a temporary solution until I can afford lowering springs and struts. Most of this post I am replying to now in quotes was is spanish lol. Body roll and something about a slippery slope lol. Thanks again because now I am aware there are lots of factors you have to consider when changing springs and/or struts and there are tons of ways of doing it. I currently want to order Eibach springs, 2" at the front and 1.7" at the back. Hopefully when I have my kit and all is said and done it will look good.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Eibachs lower 1.3" front and 1.2 rear but they will settle, although i doubt theyll settle to 2"F and 1.7"R

1 - 20 of 25 Posts