Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure if you are trying to replace a boot on the CV axle of you auto trans youre prolly pretty pissed off and frustrated right now. It took me a whole week of working on it to get out the drivers side axle. I tried every possible pry angle and every possible pry bar. There is a little ring inside the trans that holds the whole thing in. What I finally did was got about 4ft of 1/4 inch steel cable and clamped two loops on either end. I then lassoed it around the inner trunion housing. From there I hooked it up to a slide hammer and just yanked the axle out. Well I got it all serviced and it came time to put it pack in and I was having a hell of a time getting it in with that ring on the end. I decided to leave the ring off and just put it in. BAD IDEA! The axle is in no way gonna come out but it does slide out more than it should and when it goes back in it makes a tapping noise. Well, here is the solution. I had to take out the axle on the other side when I slid into a curb and the outer joint housing just split wide open. When I replaced it I put it in with the ring on and aligned it as straight as I could and took a brass punch and tapped the end of the axle. After a little bit it went in pretty easily. Also, if you are thinking about prying the axle out on the drivers side (good luck, but anyways) you might as well go to mazda and buy the inner trans seal because you are for sure gonna tear it to hell. If it is messed up youll be pouring trans fluid all over the place. So there it is. If you are gonna be replacing those things there are a couple of ideas that worked for me to make the process easier. If you have any questions about the process email me at [email protected] and Ill try and help you out.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Well done dude looks like you had a hard time of it .. yea some times those little basts just don’t want to come out…
But like you say you do need em… :tup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
LOL!!!!

ya i was freakin out at that inner boot lol, but i got it out with a small pry bar and a hammer. putting it back in was easy as hell. If you start with the rings open end at the top, it should go in alot easyer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts