Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not exactally mechanically inclined, how hard would it be to replace both outer CV boots, or should i just get someone to do it for me? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
well, it is a pain because you have to remove a lot more than it looks. i just had them replace the half axle and did my clutch which was due anyway at the same time. so for both half axles and a clutch replacement as well as putting on an mx3 flywheel, it cost me $500 labor and $325 parts. if the cv boots leak, then you can bet that the joints are on their way out 9 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you've left the boot open to water and dirt for to long, the cv join will be shot. For 75$ (a little more Canadian) you can pick up a new axle, replace it and bring back the old core for a refund. Do it your self, it's easy as hell. The hardest part is prying the inner axle off, the rest a haynes manual will take you though. Run a search, you'll learn lots.

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
c.v. boot

I'ts hard man because you basically have to take apart your c.v.
in order to install a new boot. they slide on and everything comes apart in order for that to happen. I repacked my ****in bearings
in the joint and everything, you pretty much have too. I haven't
had a problem yet with it but I had a ****in wizard mechanic
show me how to do it all so if you know a good shop or someone
to help you through it go for it. Otherwise take that bitch to the
shop it'll keep you from ****in it up worse. Good Luck! Later,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Me personally, I'd have a dealer do it. It's fairly involved :) Factory axles run about $150.00 a piece or you can buy aftermarket for about $65.00 each, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
missmx-3 said:
Me personally, I'd have a dealer do it. It's fairly involved :) Factory axles run about $150.00 a piece or you can buy aftermarket for about $65.00 each, lifetime warranty.
Disregaurd this post.

Never, and i mean NEVER bring your car to the dealer! They are there to rip you off, and that is all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts