Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so now that is winter i decided i would replace some things on my car( bushings,cv joint,control arm).everything was going good i got the control arm off the steering knuckel off unhooked the tie rod end pulled the strut...etc. but then it came time to replace the cv joint so i bought a rebuilt one and i went to unhook the old one i got it off the steering knuckle but when i went to take it off the inner part(passenger side) were it conects to the half shaft i think its called and it wont come off so i figured there must be a c-clip or somthing but i couldnt find anything and i talked to a few people and they said it should pull right off.is this true? if not how can i get it off. thanks
-ian

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
i had trouble getting mine seperated, so i ended up removing the half shaft from the tranny. After that experience, I would recommend trying harder to seperate the two. There isnt a clip you need to remove, try tapping on the axle with a hammer, hope you can seperate it. If not, you have to take off the thing holding the shaft/axle straight, remove the manifold brace (big PITA) and than fill up the tranny fluid agian

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
You're talking about pulling the passenger shaft out of the intermediate shaft, right? Usually a few good whacks with a rubber mallet right at the joint where the intermediate shaft bolts to the block is enough to work it loose. If not you may have to find a slide hammer to pull on the shaft with some force. DO NOT remove the intermediate shaft from the transmission or start removing the bolts that mount it to the back of the engine.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
My father just bought the heaviest slide hammer for cars! Its insane! If you've ever worked on like a early '90s Accord you know how useful they are. You can rent that at your local Autozone or liking. I'd try that. Either that or it sounds like your tranny must have ran real low at one point and welded itself to the spider gears.

-Tyler

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys. tomorw il go get a slide hammer and try that. how did you guys hook the slide hammer to the shaft.could you just drill A hole the metal then hook the hammer to that?thanks again
ian

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The slide hammer that I've used had a 3 stud hub attachment so I put the axle back through the hub loosely and pulled that way. I'm sure there are pullers that could be held on the shaft only with the hub nut.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
wow.. you guys really make a simple fix seem like a 3 day torture session.

i can pull the entire passenger side shaft in less time than you can pop the inner CV from the intermediate shaft

its held in by 4x14mm bolts, once the bolts are out, you pull the bracket down a lil, slide it out of the tranny a lil, then swing the bracket all the way down so it clears the alternator, and pull it the rest of the way out

lnlogauge - If your having problems removing a intermediate shaft.... you probabaly have no common sence...

now if you like... for those of you who are intellectually impared.. i can take some pictures... make you feel REALLY dumb!

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I just cant recommend pulling the intermediate shaft, especially if both shafts will be out. Its just more time under the car when you can just pull the axle out of the intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
AdderMk2 said:
wow.. you guys really make a simple fix seem like a 3 day torture session.

i can pull the entire passenger side shaft in less time than you can pop the inner CV from the intermediate shaft

its held in by 4x14mm bolts, once the bolts are out, you pull the bracket down a lil, slide it out of the tranny a lil, then swing the bracket all the way down so it clears the alternator, and pull it the rest of the way out

lnlogauge - If your having problems removing a intermediate shaft.... you probabaly have no common sence...

now if you like... for those of you who are intellectually impared.. i can take some pictures... make you feel REALLY dumb!
Ive already had this conversation with you, and I took pics to prove that you dont know what your talking about. the manifold brace is in the way even though you try to tell me it isnt. Which is funny because I farked up my intermediate shaft by trying to take it out without removing the brace, but go ahead keep talking like you know what your talking about. And when your going to comment on my "common sence", at least spell sense right.

my pic

notice yours doesnt have the brace under it? Mine does

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143275&page=2&pp=15

theres my thread regarding the same problem you had

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
bottom line... if it wont come out... pull the intermediate shaft

its not as hard as everyone makes it seem

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Why pull the intermediate shaft?!? You'll still have to seperate the shaft from it off the car when there is nothing to really pull against. Why risk pulling the intermediate shaft and having the diff gears fall into the tranny? Its just work you dont need to do.

·
Registered
457 Posts
if you're replacing the joint itself, you probably wanna just take the whole half-shaft out of the car (which of course means draining the tranny and refilling) doing this just makes the entire cleaning process and replacement of the joint 10x easier as it is out of the car and you've got space/light to work with.

i just replaced some boots, and taking the entire shaft out made it real easy. like adder said, its 4 14mm bolts on that bracket and its out. easy as that.

once you've got it out (and what is preventing you from separating the intermediate shaft) there's a snap ring on the cv joint itself and a wire-lookin clip directly inside the cv cup thing. those two hold the joint together, as well as the entire shaft.

this is why it's better to remove the entire assembly, and get a can of spray degreaser. since you're replacing the entire joint, just spray the degreaser in the cup and these clips will become real obvious, as well as how to remove them.

Sick did a writeup on this cleaning/replacing process in the How-to section if you need a reference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
I still have yet to see one of these clips that keeps you from pulling the cv shaft out of the intermediate shaft. Neither my GT or my LX have them and I know for a fact my roommates LX didnt have one. We just pulled and the thing popped right out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
then those cars' cv joints werent put together properly. there's a groove right inside the cup and in it sits a wire ring with a notch in it you gotta pull out with a screwdriver. really simple, but it holds everything inside the cup. what do you think prevents the cv joint from falling apart all over the place? same stuff that prevents you from ripping it apart with a simple tug...

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98744

check out the pic of all the parts lying on a mat, and the caption underneath talking about prying out the large spring with a flathead, and then notice said part on the mat near the clutch and ball bearings

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The only reason you'd need to take anything apart is because the wrong sized c-clip was installed on the shaft in the first place. The OEM Mazda clips dont get stuck in there and you'll feel them seat and lock in place when you push the axle in.

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah bud we're talking about the clip in the CUP, not the differential. there isnt one inside the trans on the passenger side anyway. if you looked at the link i posted and the part i mentioned, there is a wire spring clip that sits inside the CV CUP and holds that joint together. reason i mentioned this is because he's taking apart the joint itself, and can't get it apart.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the replys yesterday i went and bought a slide hammer and then hooked a pair of vise grips to the cup thing and then the slide hammer hooked to the vise grips and after 3 or 4 hits it popped off so im starting the reasembly.thanks again.

-ian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts