Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CV boots have been torn for about two months now and I need to get it fixed. Is it probably a good idea to get a whole new CV joint? People have told me that the joint will sooner or later fail if the boots have been torn that long.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if youve gone 2 months....that may be true...but think back ....drive in the rain mud or on gravel roads? actually with the new jointyou get both inner and outer boots. i got quoted a price for the whole thing and it was like 80 bucks for the joint and 87 for the install..

both my boots broke around 80,000
i just replaced the boots.....they were only open for like 2-3 weeks..

later lemongopher
93 mx6 ls the luxury pack

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm just going to play it safe and replace the whole joint. Now I just need to find out who will do it for the lowest price in my area. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Buddy i just did my CV axels... dont be surprised if u have to change the hubs and bearings also cause we broke a 10 ton press trying to get them out and we never did get em out so i spent 500 for new hubs and CV axels.... but if u r handy with the tools its easy job to do.... i just did it like last week and im running great just if u do ti on ur own ur gonna have to get an alighnment done after and it will be great....
Geoff...

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
DaveMX6 said:
Yeah I'm just going to play it safe and replace the whole joint. Now I just need to find out who will do it for the lowest price in my area. Thanks
definently recommended and you can change the tranny seals too!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You want to have the following things:

Spring clips
Seals between the CV axle and the transmission/intermediate shaft
Lots and lots of patience

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Rivulent said:
You want to have the following things:

Spring clips
Seals between the CV axle and the transmission/intermediate shaft
Lots and lots of patience
and a heavy gauge chain...thats how i pulled it out lol works like a charm

·
Registered
456 Posts
it will take just as work and lobor cost to replace the boot as it will to replace the whole thing. while youre in there (or the mechanic) youre better off spendint the extra $80 a side and do them both

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Guys... this thread is ancient.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
this is what i did when my boots tore. i bought rebuilt half-axles, new tranny seals, new clutch, and lightened flywheel. cut my labor in half for all the work since they had to remove the half axles anyway to do the clutch.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
HotNikks said:
Guys... this thread is ancient.
You're right. Why do people keep resurrecting ancient threads to post something that doesn't add anything to the conversation? meh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i need to replace my cv axle in my mx6, anyone know what all ill need, how much time and money ill need?
It's not a complicated job, but I found mine to be very laborious. The Hub nut is usually a royal pian to get off for good reason. Also, once I removed my hub nut, my disc brake did not want to come off from the axle. If this happens to you, you may be out of luck. A shop might be able to remove it and then all you have to do is replace the axle (80 bucks or so). It's also not a bad idea to replace the spring clips and the axle seals (on the transmission). Also rememeber to replace the hub nuts when your done. A chiltons book can walk you through this too. and one last thing that the chiltons book doesnt say about removing the axle shaft...you will probably need a crowbar. I know it sounds odd...but my axle shaft would not come off of the tranny without it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts