Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have an 89 MX-6, and the CV-joints need to be replaced. does anyone know if the MX-6 eats CV-joints a lot, or is it pretty rare to have to replace them? thanks for any info that can be offered.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The CV Joints usually do not need to be replaced unless the boot is torn and the joint is dried out. Usually after 100k or so, one or both of your cv boots will tear, and if you don't get right on it and fix them, the joints will dry out and you will need to replace them. So, as long as you make sure your cv-boots are ok you shouldn't have to worry.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bmjohns2/owners17.htm

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I replaced my driveshafts around 165k miles because they were clicking in tight turns. It wasn't a big deal but I figured better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
405 Posts
the drivers side on mine went out at around 110,000 and the passenger at about 120,000. they were around 50 bucks a pop and an hour to put them in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The boots constantly tear on mine (maybe 7 or 8 times since new). As long as they are not clicking you can just get the boot replaced, but if you're worried price the whole joint. I went ahead and had the whole thing replaced one time since it wasn't too much more. Most of the cost in this job is labor, and it's the same for just the boot or the whole axle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did mine myself @ 194,000mi
cost $115.50
Approx 2hrs
if you do it yourself, the driver's side will leak tranny fluid. also make sure to use an anti-lock compound on the wheel hubs. if none was used before, you will know exactly where to put it. man, were those suckers on there!
oh yea, if you have acces to a lift, use it.

speedymx
bunch-o-stuff, sdudded snow tires (I make sparks,hehehe)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts