Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A clunk from the wheel area usually suggests cv's right? I have a slight clunk sound when i brake lightly at slow speeds coming from rear passenger wheel area, usually only happens when the car is cold. I'll get it checked out and probably replace both halfshafts at the rear or could this noise be someting else?})

·
Registered
146 Posts
DUDE - my car does the exact same thing - exactly. I had it checked out last week and the mechanics I took it to had no idea. It's definitely not my cv's though - they've been checked thoroughly. And...it is way louder when the car is cold it seems.

The only solution we came up with was to wait and see if it got better or worse. Let me know if you come up with an answer.

Mike

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
phase181 said:
A clunk from the wheel area usually suggests cv's right? I have a slight clunk sound when i brake lightly at slow speeds coming from rear passenger wheel area, usually only happens when the car is cold. I'll get it checked out and probably replace both halfshafts at the rear or could this noise be someting else?})
:) The mx6 is front wheel drive, thankfully it only has halfshafts/CVs at the front. Also, the sounds generally start showing up during turning maneuvers first.

I would check the the rear swaybar endlinks, the trunk for loose items (especially jack and such) and the exhaust system to make sure it isn't hitting the chassis because of a broken/worn hanger.
-Garrett

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, shows what i know bout cars!

Thanks for clearing up that crucial point of no cv's/halfshafts in the rear!! I know less than nothing about cars.
This is my first decent car so i never really paid attention to them in the past......don't think its stuff in the trunk, but ya never know i'll take everything out and see.....and it does happen when i'm not turning.

:E

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
my car was doing that today too. the lug nuts on one of my wheels loosened up. i guess i didnt put them on tight enough when i rotated my tires at 1 in the morning like a week ago lol.

try that :shrug:

you do have wheel bearings on your rear wheels. a friend of mine has an mx6 with bad rear wheel bearings and it makes a clunking type sound at low speeds.........

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Aussomea said:
my car was doing that today too. the lug nuts on one of my wheels loosened up. i guess i didnt put them on tight enough when i rotated my tires at 1 in the morning like a week ago lol.

try that :shrug:

you do have wheel bearings on your rear wheels. a friend of mine has an mx6 with bad rear wheel bearings and it makes a clunking type sound at low speeds.........
Yeah, I didn't mention lugnuts because IMHE they make more of a clicking or clinking noise when loose, but by all means check em :)

Definitely check the swaybar links though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts