Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is my first rebuild ( its a 92 F2T, 305K km), and i've just started on the head....

Before i dissasembled it, i noticed that when i was cleaning it, that the middle two exhaust valves weren't a tight seal, i could see light shining inbetween the valve head/seat. I didn't think much of it.

So I disassembled it, and labeled everything. When i reinstaled the valves(exhaust) they were all this way(not a good seal). I tried spinning the valves, and reverse-installing them(thinking i had screwed up the order), but it was the same story. Could someone please explain to me what is wrong? Will buying new exhaust valved solve this problem, or is it something else.

All the intakes seem ok, so now i don't know what to think.

I suppose the valves need to be grinded, but i don't really understand what that means. I looked all throught the 'Projects' forum and read the one on cyl head rebuilding, but their was nothing mentioned. could somebody please help me? Like i said, this is my first rebuild, and i do not have any other experience (learning as i go :tup: ), so any advice, warnings or personal expereince would be great.

Thanks,
brandon

·
Registered
23 Posts
head rebuild

when you do a head rebuild you should at the very least lap the valves to the seats using a valve grinding tool and grinding compound. But if your serious about rebuilding the head you should take it to a compotent rebuild shop and have the guides done. Also get them to do a three angle grind on the valves and seats. You can probably do the re assembly yourself but you will have to check the seal on each valve. You can do this by using a blue dye of some kind and smearing it on the valve face and then installing the valve into the head and lightly tapping the valve against the seat. Remove the valve from the head and check the face of the valve to see if the dye has a thin line continuous arouned the face if it is then you can install that valve after cleaning it. If you cant afford to have the valve job done professionally then lapping will get you by as long as the guides are not to badly worn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts