Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, My trunk lid is starting to rust. Right on top of the Trunk where the spoiler joins the hood. (The Center Piece) How do I fix this before it gets any worse. I wanna take it somewhere to get repaired but, I don't want it to cost a lot of money, and also, I want to make sure It is done proporly! Any suggestions? Thanks,

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey man. The exact same thing happened to my car. Actually, it happened before it was my car. They (dealer) got it fixed at Maco. They did a good job. The spoiler had to be taken off, the rust needs to be sanded away, some sort of rust inhibiting paint (i think) and fill had to be used and then the trunk needed to be painted inside and out. The spolier was put back on with new glue to seal it. My trunk is a mess though. All kinds of water leaked in before winter I guess, so there was a huge ice puddle. Now it's melted, but my trunk is soaked, and there's a whole bunch of rust under the carpet. Big f***ing mess too! Can't wait til spring...

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do You know About how Much?

Hey, do you know what it may have cost them. I was thinking about taking it to midas! While I was there, I was going to get a new Muffler installed! Anyway, thanks for the reply, hopefully you can get back to me!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yikes! Midas? I don't think they do bodywork. Anyway, MACO would be your best bet, because it's fairly cheap, and it's warranteed. I think it might've been $200. It's a fair amount to pay, but it'll save you a lot of grief down the road.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opps, Sorry, getting Midas and Maco mixed up! I meant Maco...(gotta get more sleep!) Thanks Dude,

·
Registered
45 Posts
The inside lip of my trunk lid is really starting to rust up. I fear it will not be long 4-6months before you will be able to see the rust from the outside. I don't want to spend much money on this problem at the moment as I just got the axle and stablizer links replaced and that set me back. Is there any quick fix to stop the rust? Could I just paint over it with some of that rust covering paint?

PeMiL

·
Registered
579 Posts
If it's just on the inside, you would want to sand it first. Get rid of all visible rust, then you could spray a couple coats of rust inhibiter, then some colour matched paint to finish it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts