Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 months ago, right after I bought my mx6, I discovered an unusual amount of leaking grease around the axle. I took it to my mechanic and $300 later my cracked axle boot had been fixed.
Today while my car was in for some work the mechanic discovered the other axle was now leaking grease. ANOTHER CRACKED AXLE BOOT!!!!!!!
Has anyone had an experience like mine regarding Mazda's horrible axle's. Also what happens if I dont get it fixed?what further problems may arrise from this crappy axle?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Rape!

Seriously you should file rape charges for that one. You can get a complete drive axle with boots installed for about $160. I had my drivers side replaced twice, but the second repair was due to a failure of the first job a month after putting it in. I've heard some people say it is easy to do yourself and other say that shaft is really in there tight. I did not want to risk it so $160 parts and labor is fine with me. Call around and price the shaft, then find someone that won't rape you another $300 to do the job.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get what your saying man. I think it was like 130 for the part but the idiot mechanics must of took there time putting it on. Dont worry, I'm not going back there, I'm gonna try somewhere new and hopefully not get screwed over...

·
Registered
488 Posts
CV boots will usually last around 80,000-100,000 miles, depending on driving conditions and care of the vehicle. Since you have a 93 it's safe to assume you have some where near that milage. The boots usually go near eachother in time also, obviously since they are the same age. Most often the passenger goes first then the drivers. There's nothing really wrong with the axles or the boots, it's just an 8 year old car. Be prepared to fix things on it going forward.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Boy, am I glad that I did not go to that shop.... My driver side CV boot just broke, and I'm plan to take it to the mechanic in 2 weeks. Luckly, they are only charging me $90 to get it replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts