Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got smoked by a celica the other day, and i couldve sworn i should have beat him, it was a 2000 GTS
i was right with him, until i think my gear slipped out of second. anyone ever experienced third gear being a little tough to smooth in at about 6500rpms??
lemme know... NE1 beat one of these things yet??>

i did beat a useless civic the other day!! woohoo!!

G

·
0 Posts
Bummer...

Well.... the Celica does have 180HP as opposed to our 164, and if it was a 6spd is probably lower-geared. As far as 2nd goes, I've noticed that it's a bit sticky. I have to slam my car into 2nd when driving hard. If I shift slowly then I often miss it-- quite embarrassing. My 94 Civic EX was like this from the time it was new until I sold it at 103K. Maybe a shift kit with a shorter throw would fix this????

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
short shifter

thats what i was thinkin,im in a bulk buy for some sts99 short shifter right now... hopefully it goes through, cause i really want one of these bad... i thought the celica 2000 gts was a four popper... but you are sayin i kicks out 180 horses?? damn, no wonder then... hahahah

G

·
0 Posts
Yep, the new GTS has a reported 180HP and 0-60 of 6.5 seconds with the 6spd!!!!!!! NOT slow. I'm impressed that you kept up with him! Guess it makes sense though, since I was able to keep up with that 5.0 Mustang GT. Our cars still aren't as "slow" as I sometimes think, with the way these newer cars (and Trucks!) are improving in HP. Take care, and I'll email ya sometime.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kewl

anyone have any civic killing stories???
those rice mobiles make me bitter.... but i love it when we kick their asses haahhahaa

in toronto here, there are way way too many of them on the road...

oh well.. screw those rice mobiles...

G

·
0 Posts
sup

I wanna go head to head with a new celica, even if i might lose i still wanna race. it's always good to know how you do against the competition. as far as hondas go, i've raced a couple and won, still waiting to meet up against a gsr though.

G

·
0 Posts
A race against a GSR would be good for a V6 Probe or MX-6. Speaking of Hondas, I just remembered I raced a guy at work a couple months ago in his 99 Accord EX with 4cyl VTEC and a 5spd. I could take him fairly easily from a standstill, but I have to say I was quite impressed with his car. Going down the road in 2nd and third, he was never all that far behind me. After having owned a 94 Civic EX w/ the 127HP VTEC and a 5 spd, I have to say that Honda definitely has something here with this technology. The base Accord EX is rated at 150Hp and it was obvious. Anyone try racing the 200HP V6 Accord????

G

·
0 Posts
I think a 200hp accord v6 would be easier to beat than a gsr because of the weight factor. But then again the accord v6 probably has a little more torque than a 170hp gsr. does anyone know te specs on them?

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, here's what I found at acura.com:
Horsepower SAE NET
LS, GS 140 [email protected] rpm
GS-R 170 [email protected] rpm

Torque, SAE NET
LS, GS 124 lb-ft(17.1 kg-m) @5200 rpm
GS-R 128 lb-ft(17.7 kg-m) @6200 rpm

Redline
LS, GS 6800 rpm
GS-R 8000 rpm

Curb Weight GS-R Coupe: 2672lbs (manual)
Final drive ratio is 4.4!!

Vs. what I found at honda.com for the EX Coupe w/V6:

HP: [email protected]
Torque: [email protected]
Curb Weight is 3283lbs (manual)
The AT has a final drive ratio of 4.20,but manual isn't listed.

HMMMMM.... what do you think? All things weighed, they look pretty close...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Accord V6

I seriously doubt that the 200hp V-6 would be a push over.

for good specs/prices/info on new cars, check out

http://www.edmunds.com

Tells you base horsepower, and torque, weight and stuff.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can guarentee you guys can take out one of those accords, or even a prelude. I have an 89 dx mx6, and i got into a little scrap with a brand new V-TEC, prelude. I noticed that his car was a useless pile of puke compared to my car untill his gay ass VTEC kicked in. At the light, i left him in the dust, and by the time his VTEC kicked in, it was too late. I was already stopped at the next stop light. GUYS PLEASE REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE VVT (variable valve timing) cars may have 180-200 horses, but thats ONLY when the VVT kicks in. Without their VVT they are sitting ducks with 130 horses. Use this to your advandage against a brand new prelude. At the light by the time his VVT kicks in, your 164 ALWAYS THERE horses will be soo far ahead of him there will be no point for him to try anymore. VVT is great but you have to get it going first

·
Registered
332 Posts
That is very true. The VVT is a very very loud buzzy motor also. I raced a s2000 the other day and it was fast but I was not too impressed with it. I read in a mag. once that you have to want to kill the engine to get its full power out of it. Low RPM power to me is much better.

C

·
0 Posts
great site....to bad its to late..i just crashed mine a year ago..i had a 95 mx6 v6. all i had was extrudehone intake, full exhaust, intake, crane 6 ignition. i had no problem beatin integra gsr, type r, 95 bmw 328, mustang, and eclipse turbo, except 4 wheel drive..but top end was no problem except for nsx and 99 porsche twin turbo made 2 donuts around me while i pass 140 speedo mark..thats with stock tranny. i run the car with ma frenz g-tech 5 times and it registered 14.98 1/4 3 time out of 5 run. i bought centerforce dual friction and havent used it yet..anyway still lookin for another one..so you guys that thinkin that your mx6 is slow..mazda made this same block engine racin and it hits 11,000 rpm..theres hope..i'll be checkin you guys out for latist info. oh yeah.is that japanese mx6 with a right hand drive or it was just a conversion..keep it up...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go test drive the '00 Celica. Needs finishing. I read somewhere that the car was geared so that 'zine writers would get great 0-60 times. The trans is geared for crap. No difference between 5-6. You have to hold it all the way till redline before shifting again or the engine bogs. I'm not impressed. I spend 1.5 hrs on the road to work in the morning, and the Washington D.C. beltway is crazy. I feel bad that I only have an auto sometimes, but then some guy cuts me off and we end up racing from 55 up. This car is a highway MONSTER. Pull up to that Celica at 40mph and piss him off, then mash it. Remember to tap the brakes a few times as you go, as a good bye wave is only polite @-

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the 2.5V6 does "cruise" along just fine from 40 on up! Last February I took a little trip through the Cascade and Rocky Mtns (I'm from Seattle,WA) and was able to hold 80 in 5th on ALL hills-- dropped into 4th and could sustain 110 on most of them. Going down the freeway I've been able to take a Maxima, Eclipse, and a Diamante, and kept up with an eary 80s Z28 while passing another car. Glad to hear the auto 2.5V6 has some torque while going down the road too.

S

·
0 Posts
Celica GT Vs. MX6 V6

Hey there, I have a 93 MX6 LS V6 and a 2000 Celica GT. My Mx6 is automatic, but the Celica is 5 spd. I think that my Celica is faster then my MX-6. One of my friends has a 95 MX-6 V6, I will let you guy know who won after I race him, but I know for sure that GTS Celica is much faster then a V6 MX-6.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Celica Gt

I raced a 2000 celica Gt in my 94 Mx-6 ls. It wasn't even a challenge although i'm not that ancious to race a GT-s with all the stories i have heard about that model.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I actually test drove a GT-S a week ago at a oyota dealer. Let me tell you, those things are FAST as hell. Unbelievably enough the Salesperson let me go out alone. The car is quick as hell and does have some power. and let me tell you , you can definitely feel when the VT kicks in in 2dn gear. It would definitely beat an LS V6 with no problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts