Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Does anyone know how much it typically costs to replace a water pump and the timing belt? Damn dealership is charging me like 600 some bucks and then another 170 to replace the brake pads in the front.

By the way, im thinking of changing the bulbs on my fog lights. What are the specs? I dont know which type im supposed to get.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had the dealer replace all the belts and it was $300. For the water pump, the labor add shouldn't be too much...just the price for the part. The price you quote sounds outrageous.

I suggest finding an independent shop; you may be able to save $100 on the timing belt job.

Tyson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to an independent shop to get my timing belt changed, it was over 350.00--but then from getting enlightened from this board I've found I've over paid on A LOT of stuff. You may be able to do it yourself if you the time and space. And brake pads are really easy to do yourself and you'll save a ton of $$$.

·
Registered
193 Posts
damn dealerships are right. I got my timing belt and accessory belt changed for $400.They always seem to suggest belt tensioner as well (I took a chance and didn't do it). And water pump and seals, etc, etc... For front brake pads, they are probably charging you for cutting the rotors as well. If you only need pads, find a local shop. Good luck. If you'd like to see the actual bill email me ([email protected]) and I'll scan it for you.
hr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the pads yourself. I watched a guy swap on some race pads at the track in 20 min. He's had prctice, but it can't take you much longer. as far as the water pump and timing belt, shop around, try the Ford dealerships. You will find a better price, you just have to work for it. If you don't think the price is fair, post here again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts