Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, HELP! is this a potential DIY job? they wanted $650 to do em.
and is there anything else besides the control arms themselves that i have to or should change at the same time? ball joints?
and if there's any tips or helpful pointers you guys can provide, i'd appreciate it as always. the Haynes book makes it sound easy, but i'm still skeptical.
and where's a cheap place to get em?
THANX ALL!!
L8Rs
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, and can i get away with just the bushings????or just ball joints???
i found those on a few sites for ALOT cheaper :)
what is it about the arm that goes?
i'm not even 100% sure this is my problem, i was thinking tie rods. it's effecting my steering.

WHAT THE HELL DO CONTROL ARMS DO/EFFECT ANYWAY????????

thanx,
frustrated BLUMX6

G

·
Why did you go to the dealership??? NEVER GO TO THE DEALERSHIP! I went there to get a compression test awhile back and they told me I needed a new water pump. Needless to say, they were blatantly lying. Not to mention they wanted 750 to do it.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
BLUMX6 said:
ok, HELP! is this a potential DIY job? they wanted $650 to do em.
and is there anything else besides the control arms themselves that i have to or should change at the same time? ball joints?
and if there's any tips or helpful pointers you guys can provide, i'd appreciate it as always. the Haynes book makes it sound easy, but i'm still skeptical.
and where's a cheap place to get em?
THANX ALL!!
L8Rs
Nick
BLUMX6
The reason they're saying you need new lower control arms (LCAs) is likely because one or both of your lower ball joints is loose/worn. The shop manual for the MX6 basically states that the balljoints are not serviceable items; to fix a loose one, the entire LCA needs to be replaced. So either both of your lower balljoints are loose or one is and they recommend doing the other at the same time to keep the front end fresh.

The control arm bushings are serviceable and can be replaced without getting new LCAs (although the LCAs must be removed to replace the bushings.)

You can try going to another shop to get a second opinion. Even though the manufacturer recommends replacing the LCA, sometimes balljoint "kits" are available that can be installed in existing LCAs. In some cars, the balljoint is rivetted to the LCA (rivets can be drilled out, the balljoint removed & replaced and bolts installed in place of the rivets) where in others the balljoint is actually pressed into the LCA. IIRC, the MX6/PGT LCA is the latter.

Call around to parts stores to see what they say.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, actually i found both bushing kits and ball joint "kits" on various sites. what can happen to the arm itself that i wouldn't be able to just do that? and i REALLY thought it was tie rods, but THEY are the experts. it effects my steering, do control arms do that as well? my steering wheel jumps every once in a while to one side or the other and there's a jittering vibration that gets worse when going around a bend on a hiway for example. this sound right???

and why did alot of sites only list a drivers side LCA? are they the same on both sides or somethin? i'd really like to get away with just bushings or ball joints, i'm REALLY strapped for $$. but if it aint possible, it aint possible.

thanx mike!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts