Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright my power antenna is like dying on me and i need help. It will go up almost all the way and then make a grinding noise like its trying to push something up that it cant. then when it supposed to go down, i can hear the motor run but the thing just doest come down. I noticed there seems to be an unusually large amount of grease on the bottom of the antenna when it is up. Maybe something with the motor?
If anyone could help me Id be so happy because I was just about to get a new head unit but I want to get this settled first.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
well there sonny....

sounds like you got some gear problems. if you hear the grinding noise then the gears are popping out and not gripping. as for the grease maybe i put it there....hehe. i dont know actually. get it fixed man.

solar

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's actually pretty easy to take the whole thing apart and look in side to find whats wrong with it. I had to do that with mine but I works now.:cool:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm loosing valuable horsepower because of this. Maybe this belongs in the performance mods section...

Just kidding!

I can't get the damn nut off cause my rachet set sucks ass. But once I get that nut off, then the motor should be able to be taken out? Or is there more than one nut holding it in. Because as it is now I cant get to the motor to take it apart. I need to take it out!! Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
806 Posts
On the inside of your antenna there is a long white semi-flexible piece of plastic that has teeth on it. It is attached to the end piece of the antenna, which when driven by the gears in the motor put the antenna up and down. You have one of two things, either the teeth on that plastic piece are stripped in that one location or it has broken off at that point. Go and buy a new antenna mast and put it in. It's about $30 or so. To get it out you need to remove the outer ring on the rear quarter panel, then pull the inside trunk carpet aside and disconnect one bolt holding the assemble then the control and antenna connectors. It's pretty simple and you will figure it out. Search the audio forum for "broken antenna" and you will probably find more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts