Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I purchased a 95 mx6 klze recently and it has the long neck IM. The car was originaly a 4 cyl, swapped to a klze, according to the guy i bought it from anyways. Well i know for sure it was a 4 cyl in the past because when i did a search for the VIN all sites came up saying it was a 4-cyl and the cluster in the car was made for the 4 cyl because it showed the redline at 6500 rpm so i swapped my old klde v6 tach into the cluster and now it shows the correct readings. I just decided to take off the valve cover to see which cams i got and its the kl01 cams, shity deals. I looked at the head markings and it says KL-1a1 which im assuming is a klde. The weird thing is all pistons compression test comes in at 215-220 psi and the car seems pretty quick to me, is it worth checking to see if i have the flat top pistons or dished?

my upgrades are Intake, headers, exhaust, kl36 ecu je-50 vaf and im doing 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds, is there any chance this is like an inbetween of a klde and a klze? or do you think its just a DE with a klze IM slapped on it?

here is a vid of my car doing 0-60 on youtube lol

btw there is a lot of Japanese writing on the engine, some even carved in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmmm...the compression numbers sound like ZE pistons, but the heads and cams both have DE numbers (although some ZEs did come with 01 cams). You can check the pistons by simply pulling your plugs and shining a flashlight down there, but unless you plan on doing something about the crooked deal, I wouldn't worry about it with your compression numbers being what they are. There's all sorts of screwy things going on with these motors anymore.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-general/223129-inspecting-my-new-klze.html

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
your heads and cams are A-spec (DE)

the bottom end is a tossup while the im is obviously Jspec

you have some sort of hybrid deal like i got and returned.

def make more power than a straight DE but not as much

·
Registered
319 Posts
Seems like you've got a high compression motor there. Only thing I can figure is that for one reason or another, the heads were replaced at some time.

The motor makes good power looks like.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply's

ill check whenever i have the chance to see what kind of pistons i got

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hm I wouldn't worry at all mate. If you can do 0-60 that quick and the compression is that good and the engine feels nice, don't even worry. How clean does it look under those valve covers anyways? Care to post a pic?

My DE in my MX6 is nice. It has more power and feels better than the ZE in my MX3. ZEs can sometimes be abused and not serviced properly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't really know how to post the pic but ill just say it didn't look too great under that cover.... pretty grimey with some black sludge, I cleaned it really good though, my guess is like 160k engine, but runs strong and all pistons have good compression so im not gona worry about it, but one thing I was interested in doing in the future was turboing my six, now that i know i got a DE would it like to be turbo'd better then the klze?

Another interestesting read

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-general/189340-thoughts-people-ripped-off-klze-s.html

that guy seems to have the same engine as me... high compression with DE stampings, havn't checked my pistons yet. I also couldn't get my headers on just like him, the oil pan was too deep so i had to change it out for an older one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
checked last night to see if it was flat top piston with a cool little scope tool that i put down the spark plug hole and it lights up too.

They are definetly klze pistons..... so thats pretty sweet. Maybe its better that i got the de cams and valves ;/

·
Registered
196 Posts
checked last night to see if it was flat top piston with a cool little scope tool that i put down the spark plug hole and it lights up too.

They are definetly klze pistons..... so thats pretty sweet. Maybe its better that i got the de cams and valves ;/
you get good DE's (they're pretty quick off the mark) you get god ZE's (I have one, very grunty when you rev over 4g). "Maybe its better that i got the de cams and valves".....er no! That's where the HP is (high-flow heads = high-end torgue!). ZE heads have biger oblong ports & so does the IM = 20-or so ex horses! The HI-Comp Block is a bit wierd though, that's a goodie:tup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder what car these motors are pulled from, i bet there quite a few klze/klde engines like mine out there, anybody out there that thinks they have a full ze should check the cams, you might be surprised when you read kl01

whats a klze head go for price wise and how long of a job do you guys think it would be to change the head?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts