Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I breaked, my dash light came on, lasted for about 5 seconds then turned off. I did a few things to see if it would come back or not, and it did.

Whenever I put medium/hard presurre onto the break pedal my light comes on.. then turns off. Right now I can drive without bringing the light on - if I'm thinking about it (not slowing down quickly).

I had my front calipers and break pads replaced last year... other then that I think my breaks are factory.

Does anyone know what might possibly be wrong? Is it the cold thats bringing this on?
Please help me!

Evan

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
ok ok...ill help you :)

bleed all your brakes. make sure the resevoir doesnt go below 1/4 full. then test drive. i believe that will solve your problem. good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
solar slashes advice is good :tup: but ive heard of people having to fill their brake fluid all the way to the full line to get the light to stop coming on

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bleed?

Sorry - I know next to nothing when it comes to car maitenance.. trying to learn though.

What does it mean to bleed my brakes?

And is there a recommended break fluid I should use?

Oh, and the light is on all the time now. Also - about how long do you think I have to do this before I start having real problems?
Thanks,
Evan

·
Registered
18 Posts
The bulb in your brake lights has 2 different brightnesses, when my light was coming on i just changed the bulb and it fixed the problem.

91mx6lover

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
e2k if i were u i wouldnt drive the car untill the problem is fixed, that light is your only warning before the brakes totally dont work.

91mx6lover..... when the bulb needs replaced, the :REAR: light comes on. when there is a problem with the actual braking system the "(!)BRAKE" light comes on.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
check how much brake fluid you have, fill it up and see how it comes.

Thats if your talkin about the 4W ABS brake light..

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
ok i just added brake fluid and i havent had the light come on anymore but when i added it i noticed my cap for the brake fluid resovoir was partially cracked, like right around where the top meets the sides of the cap, and i was sondering if this is somthing that needs to be replaced ASAP because i know dirt and stuff isnt good to have in there but how easily could it get in and would a universal one from an autoparts store probably fit or do i need a more specific replacement?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
sometimes in some cars, u might have your brake light come on when u brake, if u have one of your brake lights in the rear burn up, its like a warrning to tell ya that u have a burnt light bulb, so check your light bulbs in the rear, look if one of them is burnt.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Mazda_MX6_Turbo said:
sometimes in some cars, u might have your brake light come on when u brake, if u have one of your brake lights in the rear burn up, its like a warrning to tell ya that u have a burnt light bulb, so check your light bulbs in the rear, look if one of them is burnt.
like i said earlier in this post, when a bulb goes out, the "REAR" light comes on, not the "BRAKE" light.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed

Sorry, I meant to post earlier. I went that friday and had my brakes bled. T The problem was fixed. There was air in some hoses and two fo the washers needed to be replaced. Can you believe two washers cost $4.08?

Thanks for the help with pintpointing my problem.

It only cost $70 at the shop.. I wish I'd known how to do it myself, but thats alright.

Evan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts