Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dash gauges (needles) not working

for the last few weeks my dash gauges (speedo, tach, ect & fuel level) were working intermitantly, now they've just stopped. i've been doing some trouble shooting but haven't been able to find the prob. any reasonable ideas or suggestions? has anyone ever had this prob.?

edit: the problem is the actual needles not moving, not the lights.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Should be the same fuse for the tail lights. Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Start by checking the illumination wire (orange) on the back of your head unit. If this grounds out it can short the guages as well as the tail lights.

Reactions: dsr30

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NickR said:
Check the meter fuse in the fuse box inside the car. It is probably blown, or corroded, or something.
i checked all my fuses and they're good, pulled apart the dash and checked the connectors on the back of the assembly.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NickR again.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brandon002 said:
Should be the same fuse for the tail lights. Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Start by checking the illumination wire (orange) on the back of your head unit. If this grounds out it can short the guages as well as the tail lights.
yeah, i do. i'll check that out. thanks

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Wait, do the needles not move anymore?.. or is it the back light that's not working?

If it's the back light, check the dimmer switch. If it's unplugged (maybe it wiggled out), I don't believe the dash lights will come on (that's how it is in the 2g Probe as well).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's the needles that don't move, the lights didn't work when i first got the car, but a set of indiglo gauges solved that. i'll edit my original thread.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah they worked. a couple times they'd just '0', but it'd only last for a few seconds. then more recently they'd still be intermittent, but they stay not working for a longer period of time and happen more frequently. and now they don't work at all.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Sounds like a loose wire, sorry.. I have no idea what could effect both the needles and the back lights other than the harnesses that connect to the cluster in the back.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll have to take it apart again. the harnesses at the back appeared ok when i checked them. since i got the car the back lights never worked. thanks for ur replies.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my car sat from monday until today, when i decided to drive it and the damn gauges r working now...for now. intermittent problems r the worst to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If all the gauges stopped working at the same time then the problem has to share a common point.... ground or power supply would be my guess. If the gauges are are working right now, what happens if you bang on the dash/gauge cluster? Does this problem only happen when the car is cold or warmed up?

Intermintent electrical problem are almost imposible to figure out. You need a second cluster/gauge set to swap out and try for a while. I bet it would cost an arm and a leg... even for a used one.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kc 93'ls said:
If all the gauges stopped working at the same time then the problem has to share a common point.... ground or power supply would be my guess. If the gauges are are working right now, what happens if you bang on the dash/gauge cluster? Does this problem only happen when the car is cold or warmed up?

Intermintent electrical problem are almost imposible to figure out. You need a second cluster/gauge set to swap out and try for a while. I bet it would cost an arm and a leg... even for a used one.
according to the schematics they do share a common b+, but the lights r on the same feed and i physically checked the ground, jc-03 is the one it looks to be, in the engine bay on the trans and that seems to be fine also.

when i bang on the dash/cluster it doesn't affect it at all and temp doesn't matter at all either.

Intermintent electrical problem are almost imposible to figure out.
tell me about it ...the worst thing in the world:tdown:

·
Registered
564 Posts
How do the inputs on the mx6 work ?

inputs = vehical speed sensor, engine speed sensor(rpm), temp. sensor, etc.

Do the inputs go straight to the gauges or do they go to the ECM, then the gauges.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the inputs go straight to the gauges

·
Registered
564 Posts
Then it must be a power supply or ground problem. I seen the back of the gauge cluster and its a real mess of crap. The circuits are all made of flexible foil. Even were the bulbs plug in, what garbage eh. Its wierd that the lights never worked when you bought the car.

Have you check the circuit on the foil crap and looked for any burn marks?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then it must be a power supply or ground problem.
my thoughts exactly, but i haven't been able to trace it

yeah i checked them when i got the car but i didn't find anything obvious, so i just got a blue led bar to provide light and then a set of indiglo gauges to slove that problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts